What's new

Using Feather Razor "Pro Guard" Blades with Schick injector, newbie question.

I have been reading about injector blades for a Schick Injector razor and some of our members are cutting down to size Feather Razor "Pro Guard" Blades and raving about the shave. Can someone please provide me with instructions on how to do it? What tools are needed, how is the old blade ejected and how is the cut down blade installed in the injector razor?

I asking because I am a newbie and am looking to get the best out of the Schick injector razor. I bought two with bakelite handles on ebay for $10.00 and love the razor's size and handling. It is perfect for shaving around a beard and mustache. I started with CVS branded blades and quickly hoped that there are better blades available. The plastic case makes ejecting the old and injecting the new blade difficult. Also they seem to get dull after only 3 shaves. I have a beard and thus less than full face shaving area so I expected better longevity.

I had my first shave today with the Schick branded blades and the process is much better. Easy ejecting and injecting. Good shave with first use of blade. I hope to get 4 good shaves out of each blade. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the assistance gentleman.

I just lay one of the Schick Injector "sized" blades out against the Feather ones, then I get two pairs of pliers, small ones at that, or better yet, needle nose pliers and snap them in two.

If you are looking specifically for the Schick blades, you can go to an older pharmacy or apothacary that has an older clientel, they (the customers) still use the blades in their 40 year old razors so the store usually keeps a good stock of them. The CVS ones are just awful.

Thanks. I found the Schick blades in a supermarket in my hometown. The CVS blades are not good to say the least. I am hopeful about the Schick branded blade. However, I am still a bit confused. How do you go about ejecting the old and injecting the new blade as it will not be in the injector? Thanks again.

Thanks. I found the Schick blades in a supermarket in my hometown. The CVS blades are not good to say the least. I am hopeful about the Schick branded blade. However, I am still a bit confused. How do you go about ejecting the old and injecting the new blade as it will not be in the injector? Thanks again.

VERY CAREFULLY! No, seriously! You can use the key (the bank that holds the new blades) to open the razor, push the old blade out, CAREFULLY, then insert the new blade with your needle nose pliers, CAREFULLY, and position it with a toothpick (or some other thin and dull, easily obtainable and discardable object), CAREFULLY.

The key word here is CAREFULLY.

VERY CAREFULLY! No, seriously! You can use the key (the bank that holds the new blades) to open the razor, push the old blade out, CAREFULLY, then insert the new blade with your needle nose pliers, CAREFULLY, and position it with a toothpick (or some other thin and dull, easily obtainable and discardable object), CAREFULLY.

The key word here is CAREFULLY.

Thank you, I really needed those explicit instructions, because I learned to be very cautious when handling objects as sharp as a razor blade. I appreciate your response and the heads up to be very careful. I does seem somewhat hazardous, but I think I will try it especially if the Schick blades are not appreciably better than the CVS blades. Thanks again.

I am using adjusted Feather Razor "Pro Guard" Blades with Schick type ‘I’ injector, which gives me shave as good as the one I am getting with Big Fellow razor.

Rite-Aid injector blades are surprisingly good-the injector case is horrible though.

Another option would be to purchase The Cobra Classic Razor from Classic Shaving. It's shaped like an injector using only the Feather Pro blades. Yes, it's pricey but in my opinion worth it. No need for pliers and monkeying around trying to insert a Feather blade into a Schick injector.

The shave with the Cobra Classic you ask? Exceptional. I'm using the Feather Pro-Super blades with two passes for at least 8 shaves (Can flip the bade over unlike an injector blade). Another B&B member sent me some Feather Pro-guards that I soon will be trying-thanks Mike!

Classic Shaving said the Cobra will be made in lots of 50 and the price will only go up.

Rite-Aid injector blades are surprisingly good-the injector case is horrible though.

Another option would be to purchase The Cobra Classic Razor from Classic Shaving. It's shaped like an injector using only the Feather Pro blades. Yes, it's pricey but in my opinion worth it. No need for pliers and monkeying around trying to insert a Feather blade into a Schick injector.

The shave with the Cobra Classic you ask? Exceptional. I'm using the Feather Pro-Super blades with two passes for at least 8 shaves (Can flip the bade over unlike an injector blade). Another B&B member sent me some Feather Pro-guards that I soon will be trying-thanks Mike!

Classic Shaving said the Cobra will be made in lots of 50 and the price will only go up.

It is quite costly, but I trust that it is worth it. How much wider is it than a Schick injector? The reason I ask is I can easily move the Schick around my beard to shave exactly where I want. If it is too wide, I may not be able to do so. Since I do not shave my entire face and neck, I need a lot of control over the razor.

Thanks for the suggestion and I look forward to your response.

Sorry, the description states that it is 2 inches wide. I missed it the first time through. That is too wide for my needs, but thanks for the suggestion.

The Schicks are better than the CVS, but you just can't beat the Feather cutdowns. I hope I wasn't too "elementary" in the description, I have heard of gents cutting their fingers installing the blades, so I wanted to express to be carefull....

Do you HAVE any Feather blades?

Thank you, I really needed those explicit instructions, because I learned to be very cautious when handling objects as sharp as a razor blade. I appreciate your response and the heads up to be very careful. I does seem somewhat hazardous, but I think I will try it especially if the Schick blades are not appreciably better than the CVS blades. Thanks again.

The Schicks are better than the CVS, but you just can't beat the Feather cutdowns. I hope I wasn't too "elementary" in the description, I have heard of gents cutting their fingers installing the blades, so I wanted to express to be carefull....

Do you HAVE any Feather blades?

I do understand your instructions and will use extreme care. I definitely can forsee cutting myself by being careless. Razor blades are designed to cut so I am fully aware of the risks.

In answer to your question, I do not have any Feather blades. I did not intend to buy any until I ascertained whether I could manage to use them with the Schick. I think I will give it a try, but will wait until I purchase other shaving supplies so as to cut down on shipping costs. I will find an online vendor.

I had my second shave today with the Schick blades and it was even better than the first and leagues better than the CVS blades. If I can get four shaves per blade, I will be satisfied.

Thanks again for your interest and regards.

Top Bottom