What's new

The difference between DE and Mach3

Hi folks,

I've been shaving with a DE for a few months now. I thought I might be getting a marginally better shave, but mainly I stayed with it because it's relaxing and makes my skin feel better.

Last week, however, I took a quick trip to Prague with the girlfriend. It was my first time away in months, and we were just taking cabin baggage for a few days- so no razor blades allowed. I was forced to take the old Mach3 with a fresh cartridge and some shaving oil- but hey, I didn't think about it too much, it was only for a few days.

Wow. Not only was shaving the way I had done for years a truly horrible experience, I wasn't sure I had actually shaved at all. Raw, painful skin was accompanied by pretty severe stubble, and it's not just in my head- the missus noticed too. It was so poor, in fact, that I only shaved twice in five days (and I'm a daily shaving guy).

My point here is that I hadn't realised the phenomenal difference my new routine was making until I switched suddenly, and without warning, back to my old ways.

And another point of interest: I'm shaving DE at the extreme budget level. I'm a student with no income, so I picked up a €5 Wilkinson Sword plastic razor, and a €14 Men-u synthetic brush from Boots. After I failed to cut myself into pieces, I ordered Tabac soap and blade samplers from ......... Shaving ( a great buy). Total cost for the last 5 months shaving? About €30. And the Tabac will last a good bit more.

So, this realisation that all the talk and enthusiasm on these boards (in which I've been lurking for a while-this is my first post) was really genuine, and that even at the lowest level, the results are stellar (even if you don't realise it!) prompted me to post- and to advise others to bring the razor blade-less when travelling, and pop into a pharmacy once you arrive at your destination.

Oh, and for all the posters who may say "buy yourself a decent razor!" - I know. But I'm seriously, seriously broke. ASAP, I promise.

Nice work fella.

There's no real need to buy high-end stuff to be honest. I've owned a £100 razor which didn't shave me any better than the £15 one I'm using now and I've owned a £100 brush which didn't lather any better than my £20 one.

Try Palmolive Cream next time you're passing Superdrug or Savers - you won't be disapointed.

By the way, we can't mention 'that' vendor on here. Despite him being THE very best UK-based source of wet-shaving products. There was a bit of a bust-up, some toys got broken and everyone ran home crying.

By the way, we can't mention 'that' vendor on here. Despite him being THE very best UK-based source of wet-shaving products. There was a bit of a bust-up, some toys got broken and everyone ran home crying.

You know, now that you say that, I do seem to recall seeing some mention of that a long time ago while lurking. Apologies! Though I won't say a word against this anonymous vendor myself. Thanks for the welcome!

I'd say the Wilkinson DE was a decent razor. (I have 2, one lives in my desk at work.) The only thing is it won't last decades like a solid metal razor can, but for the money, would anyone expect it to? They will probably last at least as long as the plastic cartridge handles.

Welcome to B&B!

I keep wanting to go back to my Mach III on a trip (I'm a frequent traveler) just to see how different it is.

Now maybe I wont...

Nice post! And Welcome.
Why don't you try to check some flea markets, and such.

You'd be be bound to find something dirt cheap.... at least the ever present and trustworthy Tech.

Top Bottom