What's new

Sandalwood Closest to Tam Dao?

Guys, I don't have a Sandalwood in my rotation and want to remedy that. Anyone up enough on all the offerings to suggest which soap would be closest to Tam Dao?

Guys, I don't have a Sandalwood in my rotation and want to remedy that. Anyone up enough on all the offerings to suggest which soap would be closest to Tam Dao?

For quality hard soaps, AoS is closest IMO. Closest is an important term as it's still very different than Tam Dao, but is at least a "soft" sandalwood.

You can probably get much closer in the glycerin soap world as the scent variety is much wider. I can't point you to anything specific but can state that QED Sandalwood is at the opposite end of the Sandalwood scent spectrum from Tam Dao!

AoS is good, though I actually think that QED is a good match, as well. I use both in combination with Tam Dao.

I never worry about getting a close match since I find that after my post shave rinse the scents of soaps or creams don't linger on me.

QED is pure Sandalwood essential oil so in that regards its a good choice since most of the EDTs out there are Sandalwood oils plus something else.

I agree that QED could complement Tam Dao, but it's so sharp and woody that I cannot call it a close match in scent. Tam Dao is much softer and there are a number of soaps that come much closer. For me, QED Sandalwood is scented so strongly that it is not overcome by the Tam Dao for hours. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider.

I'm not sure I could get some QED even if I wanted some. Last I heard they were out and not sure about making it anymore due to a price increase of the EO.

Tam Dao, in all its sandalwoody goodness, in my opinion, is a cedar scent with and sandalwood dry-down, although I much, much prefer tam dao over the other sandalwoods scents.

Not to turn this into a sale thread or anything, but I have a bit of pure sandalwood oil for those that are interested in trying out the real thing, pm for details. You can mix this with your liquid soaps or add a drop to a bath (if you take baths [i take showers]).

Last edited:
Deleted original post. My bad. I don't believe Floris made a Sandalwood soap. However, the scent of it does mirror that of Tam Dao. Sorry about that.

No worries, I had to read the OP twice before I replied as well... I almost posted the same thing about the Floris Sandalwood. :wink:

Top Bottom