What's new

Hypoallergenic/Scentless Creams

Hi,

Some months back I was using Williams Mug Soap, but the overwhelming soapy scent always triggered my allergies, and was just a pain to use. Then I discovered Proraso, and noticed that while it does have a scent, it doesn't really cause any allergic reactions, and even opened up my nasal passages. It sort of smells like Vicks Vapor Rub. Anyway, that brings me here. In this thread I'd like recommendations for creams that are subtle and not too powerful, even scentless creams are welcomed. Just nothing with a powerful soapy or canned shaving cream scent.:death:

Both AOS and TH have scentless creams that I like. I don't like really strong scents either....but have grown to really like the TH Trafalgar (sp ?) and the Proraso.

I've found that my face is sensitive to many shaving products. At this point, unscented Kiss My Face is my go-to cream. It's pretty good by itself (and cheap), but it's even better as part of a superlather with Van Der Hagen deluxe.

~Jeff

AoS Unscented cream. It is a hypoallergenic cream. I tried a sample recently. Nice, but I need a cream that has some kick to it.

I'm also into unscented products ... not because of allergies, but just for aesthetic reasons.

One of the finest unscented creams I've used is Crabtree & Evelyn's "Naturals for Men" line. It gives a really great shave, and leaves no unwanted aroma behind.

(This product may be discontinued. Some stores have it for 50% off, if they have it at all.)

Don't expect gobs of lather, and the ASB feels a bit sticky when you first put it on. These are minor nuisances, and don't detract from its overall value.

Bottom line is it gives you a great shave. That's all that counts.

Last edited:
OK - so it is not a cream, but a cake of Neutrogena's hyperallergenic "facial cleansing bar" (their fancy name for a high-quality glycerine soap) makes a great shaving soap for those with sensitive skin. The cakes melt easily into a more appropiate bowl when microwaved too.

I think TGR (The Gentlemen's Refinery) deserves a big mention in this category. I've been using it for the past four-five days, and I'm sold!! It doesn't create quite as "frothy" of a lather as other English-style creams, but it uses all-natural or organic ingredients, and is incredibly slick and moisturizing. I have sensitive skin, and my face has felt fantastic over the past few days, even shaving with an HD slant and 39c. The unscented is great, but I have absolutely NO problems with the "Standard" scent either, which is a light lavender scent.

I'm ordering a tub tomorrow, as my two or three sets of samples are finally about to run out. Definitely consider TGR.

I was looking at these and they seem to come in a lotion type bottle. Can this cream be used with a brush?
like I thru a lather grenade in my bowl!!!! a few shakes of the old boar brush..... 1-1 1/2 pumps is enough for 3-4 passes for me. some members say it is hard to make lather with this stuff...???? I like the mint too!!!! buy some...you won't regret it!!!
yes it can but it is just average in my opinion
i like AOS much better
but price wise....? KMF...... great lather and cheap too!!! AoS is good stuff ...but expensive.....

Last edited:
The AoS unscented creme is fine though I tend to prefer scented cremes. Money aside, I've found the T&H Ultimate Comfort creme to be one of the best performers. I received a small pillow of it in the T&H sample pack and it was wonderful. Defintely worth a try and the sampler is only $8.

I have tried quite a number of creams for sensitive skin, including several which were supposedly unscented or hypoallergenic (classic brand, Taylor's, T&H, C&E and Art of Shaving) and other creams which while scented were nonetheless reputed to be good for sensitive skln. For my skin, at least, the Art of Shaving unscented was by far the best followed by Salter's vetiver. Salter's almond is also worth trying (although the almond scent is not exactly class leading - it's one of their weaker scents).

TOBS avocado irritated my skin but initially was OK.
Classic brand cream for sensitive skin irritated my skin immediately and quite badly.
TOBS hypoallergenic was not a particularly good shave and smells unpleasant.
T&H hypoallergenic Ultimate Comfort is a very nice cream but has lavender in it, which irritates my skin.

I have tried quite a number of creams for sensitive skin, including several which were supposedly unscented or hypoallergenic (classic brand, Taylor's, T&H, C&E and Art of Shaving) and other creams which while scented were nonetheless reputed to be good for sensitive skln. For my skin, at least, the Art of Shaving unscented was by far the best followed by Salter's vetiver. Salter's almond is also worth trying (although the almond scent is not exactly class leading - it's one of their weaker scents).

TOBS avocado irritated my skin but initially was OK.
Classic brand cream for sensitive skin irritated my skin immediately and quite badly.
TOBS hypoallergenic was not a particularly good shave and smells unpleasant.
T&H hypoallergenic Ultimate Comfort is a very nice cream but has lavender in it, which irritates my skin.

Try TGR Unscented.......I love their stuff. It behaves a little differently than a "traditional English cream," but it still makes a nice lather, can take a lot of water, and is really easy on the skin. Their aftershave balm is also amazing.

Top Bottom