What's new

Nicking ATG

I know this is a serious newbie question.

But I've recently switched from two bladed disposables (where I never cut myself), to the BIC single, so I can hone my technique before going to DE.

I'm doing 4 passes (WTG, 2 XTG, then one ATG), and I'm nick-free until the last pass, when I alway manage to mess up my face. I'm using light pressure, but I still keep screwing up.

Words of wisdom?

Thanks.

ATG is the hardest thing to master, if you ever master it at all.

Are you doing sufficient prep? I suggest you look up the thread titled "Kyle's Prep" and follow it to a T. That will help you soften your beard properly.

Finally, some folks simply can't go ATG on their face. Thus, they end up not doing it at all or going with some form of a hybrid.

On my neck, I can't go ATG w/o irritation. Thus, I simply go as close to ATG w/o actually going 180 degrees opposite the direction of the whisker. (What I mean by this is the following: the hair on my neck is almost entirely E--W. A true ATG shave would go W--E. I can't do that. So, I end up going NW--SE. I still get a semi ATG cut but dont irritate the skin so bad as to look like I've got a sunburn on my neck!)

But I've recently switched from two bladed disposables (where I never cut myself), to the BIC single, so I can hone my technique before going to DE.

I'm doing 4 passes (WTG, 2 XTG, then one ATG), and I'm nick-free until the last pass, when I alway manage to mess up my face. I'm using light pressure, but I still keep screwing up.

Words of wisdom?

Thanks.

Stop for now and try it again with a DE.

For me, going ATG with other cartridge razors/disposables is a pain. But I can do it with a DE. The reason I believe is that the DE is a precision tool and I can shave at the correct angle and direction.

So my advice for now is to cease cutting yourself, get a DE, and take it from there.

My beard requires copious amounts of slick lather when going ATG. So much so that it seems I constantly am rubbing lather back onto my skin while doing my pass.

Also, the Bic disposables are very light, so you actually have to use MORE pressure than a DE. I use a Merkur Futur and the head on that thing weighs so much that when shaving my neck I have to use negative pressure.

Get yourself a real DE - it isn't as hard as it seems. You'll pick it up just fine.

What kind of soap/cream are you using? I've noticed better results with the very dense Taylor's cream or the slick Tabac soaps..

when you get your DE you will be amazed at how much control you have over pressure and blade angle.

Do it right and it feels amazing.

Jimro

so am I just wasting time with the Bics? Should I just jump into DE?

The answer is yes, the Bic requires considerable more pressure and the blade is not as sharp as a DE. IMHO. So get a Gillette and dive in head first.

You can't compare a single blade BIC to a DE razor. Two different worlds. I have no problem going ATG with any of my DE razors but would tear my face a new hole if I tried it with a BIC disposable. I'd drop the BIC, and just get a DE like a mild Gillette '48-'50 Super Speed or actually a Red tip SS (my fave SS) and go from there.

Words of wisdom?

Thanks.
Just don't do an ATG pass. There's no rule that says you have to!

Just don't do an ATG pass. There's no rule that says you have to!

+1 Don't go for BBS right away.

You really need to pick up a DE to learn the technique. Slowing down and putting in the time to learn everything you can up front will pay off big-time later.

I actually have a Gilette, I'm just thinking I'm going to wait til the summer to put my technique together. If I try to learn DE technique while balancing a million other things at school I think I'll just tear my face apart.

You could try what others have suggested in the past, just practice your technique on weekends and not during the week until you get the hang of it...

Top Bottom