What's new

A comparison of safety razors

Hey, I was wondering has anyone ever written a comparison of safety razor styles. Like for instance the pros and cons of slants, open combs, adjustables etc.

I'm thinking of find a different razor than my Merkur HD but I'm kinda curious what all the different styles play into the equation.

That is a tough question. I think everyones opinions vary from razor to razor and style to style.

Your just need to try a few at a time and figure out which you like the best.

I wished that could be answered I am running out of money. But does a fatboy have a different shaving character than the slim other than grip. I am beginnig to think the handel is to long to suit me. If they are simular i will stay put and keep working the slim...Thanks

I wished that could be answered I am running out of money. But does a fatboy have a different shaving character than the slim other than grip. I am beginnig to think the handel is to long to suit me. If they are simular i will stay put and keep working the slim...Thanks

The head profile is different, so it should shave differently. Don't know if it shaves better or worse though.

I found the slim and fatboy to be quite different. I love my slim adjustable but the Fatboy just did not work well for me. YMMV

I think that the book would consist of 4 letters:

YMMV

That is a tough question. I think everyones opinions vary from razor to razor and style to style.

Your just need to try a few at a time and figure out which you like the best.

Sadly (or enjoyably), this is all true.

It's good fun! Since you have a HD, get a 1940's SS for comparison - then go from there!

This would've been my advice, too. These two will give you a feel for two of the major lines of razors. I don't think you need to try them all (or even close to all) unless you just want to; but, I think trying a few does offer some benefits. You've picked one of the best bets (HD), and I think the 40s SS is another key razor to try. By the way, I followed this advice myself. I found the SS a better razor for me, and that opened the door to a burgeoning Gillette RAD. I'm close to declaring a Red Tip even better than my SS, but I have a couple other contenders.

what is a 1940's ss and where do you get it? Ebay?

Also, as far as adjustables go, what are they like to use? I mean on reading that article about blade angle, I would think that a razor should only have one practical setting, that of being contoured to the head and guard.

I feel that I might like a razor that is a little lighter than the HD, at times I find the weight of it somewhat cumbersome.

Last edited:
ss = Gillette Super Speed

and my wifes Grandfathers 1958 SuperSpeed was the first DE I ever shaved with. After a couple others, including a 1940's SS I acquired a 1969 Adjustable Slim.

The 58 SS and Slim are my two favorite, with the edge to the slim :)

YMMV

And ebay is a good place to shop around, there are still good deals to be had there from time to time, just be patient and don't get into a bidding war. I've got an old Genco straight razor coming. 8.99 US for the blade and free shipping, and if it comes in any sort of useable shape (pics looked ok) it will have been well worth the money.

Another good place is here on B&B, every once in a while a you'll find a someone thinning the herd so to speak.

Jimro

I mean on reading that article about blade angle, I would think that a razor should only have one practical setting, that of being contoured to the head and guard.

Exactly! But the problem is that all our faces are different according to "hills and valleys." So are the coarseness of our stubbles, the sensivity of our skin, and different men have different ways of holding and handling fine (and in some cases dangerous) tools as a razor.

So I agree with you: There should be one perfect razor with a perfect blade angle, perfect blade gap, perfect weight, perfect length of the handle, and finally a perfect head so you can shave difficult areas as under your nose. Oh, and I forgot: Of course this shaver would also have that perfect looks.

I'm not writing this to be ironic. But as Nietzsche said: "There is your way and there is my way. The only way, the perfect way doesn't exist." And I think this goes for all parts of shaving too. That's why you will meet the expression YMMV very often: your mileage may vary.

Good luck in finding the perfect razor for YOU. I'm sure it exists.

cop

While the 40's style Super Speed gets plenty of love, the 50's style too often gets overlooked. These are wonderful razors. Do not get totally hung up on trying a 40's style first. Check out the link in my signature for more info.

Just comparing the 1940's to the 1950's SS, I too give it to the 1950's. They seem just as comfortable, but a bit more aggressive. Same comfort, easier to get a great shave.

Top Bottom