What's new

Steam Sterilization

OK,
I know there are loads of threads for cleaning/Sterilizing, but I would like to ask a specific question(s),
My Fatboy arrived in the post today, its in overall excellent condition and looks really clean. The seller assures that it is Sterilized using barbacide. However, I would like to make sure. Don't know if you guys get them but here in Ireland we use small Steam Sterilizers for babys bottles, basically load up the bottles and water and the steam cycle runs for about 20 mins, so I'm thinking if its good enough for babys bottles....
To the questions:
Does anyone know if this will be good enough to Sterilize the Fatboy?
and
Will it damage the finish on the F/B?
Thanks in advance....
Dave

I'm not sure about your setup. True steam sterilizers such as an autoclave work great. They get up to 134 degrees celsius and multiple atmospheres worth of pressure. I have no idea how your baby bottle sterilizer works so I can't tell you. I have a potential workaround for you though...

why don't you just take a run over to your regular friendly dentist. He'd probaly fire it in his autoclave if you asked nicely and you were a regular patient. The cycle usually only takes about an hour (depending on if they leave it in for the drying cycle or not). I can't imagine that the chrome could get damaged at that temperature.

my 0.02.

Or just get yourself some barbicide of your own and let it soak overnight. Don't trust the seller to have done that right, but if you barbicide it yourself you're probably in good shape. An autoclave would be ideal though (but how often can one actually reach the ideal?)...

Those baby bottle sterilizers are steamers that are specially set up hold the bottles. I can't see buying one of those when kitchen equipment that you might already have will do the trick. A pot, lid to fit, and a rack or basket in the pot to hold the razor. Or just simply boil the razor for a good ten minutes. Unless the steam is under pressure it can't be hotter than boiling water.

Last edited:
I wonder what you guys do when eating in a restaurant or something.
Do you take your own fork and spoon? They do not sterilize!

I wonder what you guys do when eating in a restaurant or something.
Do you take your own fork and spoon? They do not sterilize!

I worked in a restaurant long ago and the silverware was 1st soak in a solution of the caustic dishwasher detergent before it was run through the dishwasher
While it not an autoclave I can't imagine anything bad living through it.
If you have one just run your razor through the dishwasher with a hot dry cycle.
When I made beer I ran my cleaned bottles through dishwasher with no detergent with a hot dry cycle to sanitize them.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You can STERILIZE a razor in a pressure cooker in 20 minutes @ 257° F (125 °C) at 20 pounds per square inch

Or using an oven at 338°F (170°C) for 60 minutes

I often ponder the life cycle of bacteria on metal. How long can a little nasty live? If a razor is really clean and the seller claims he sterilized it then what could still be alive and waiting to jump you?

If someone uses a razor regularly we at least know they are clean, right? Are we too paranoid about germs and virii?

BTW, I have oozing pustules after my Parker shave...any ideas guys? :cursing:

You can STERILIZE a razor in a pressure cooker in 20 minutes @ 257° F (125 °C) at 20 pounds per square inch

Or using an oven at 338°F (170°C) for 60 minutes

I've done the oven thing. I just put a few razors on a pizza stone and shoved them in the oven (not quite that hot) for about a basketball game, then cooled them slowly. Didn't seem to harm any of them, though one was a little squeaky (mineral oil...)

What finish does your Fatboy have? If it's a brass/gold finish don't try this, but if not just boil a pot of water and let it sit in there for five or ten minutes. That's as sterilized as it will ever get. The reason I say don't use this method if you have a brass finish is because some members say this could ruin that type of brassing, though I'm skeptical as I've done this before on gold-toned razors and I've never had that problem myself.

At what temp does the brassing occur on a gold plated razor? Technically wouldn't lower heat for a long period of time in an oven work for said problem?

At what temp does the brassing occur on a gold plated razor? Technically wouldn't lower heat for a long period of time in an oven work for said problem?

Heat can't hurt the brass.
The problem with gold Gillette's is they have a clear coat that turns brownish orange with age.
Boiling or harsh chemicals will remove this coating, which BTW isn't always a bad thing.
Oven cleaner will remove the lacquer nicely.
They're special lacquers made for coating brass that would probably do a good job on a gold razor.

Or just get yourself some barbicide of your own and let it soak overnight. Don't trust the seller to have done that right, but if you barbicide it yourself you're probably in good shape. An autoclave would be ideal though (but how often can one actually reach the ideal?)...

Don't leave anything sitting in Barbicide overnight. It will stain the finish, and be impossible to remove. I learned this the hard way.

A 10-15 minute bath, with frequent agitation, should be sufficient. Disassembe the razor as far as you can so that the Barbicide reaches all surfaces. You might want to lubricate it afterwards, with mineral oil.

You can simulate the effect of an autoclave by purchasing a pressure cooker. These are available at any place that sells small kitchen appliances, starting at $20 on up. (Plus, when you're not shaving, you can cook stuff in it.)

Thanks for all the replies guys, its the stainless steel body. I already have a steam sterilizer for the baby, so a quick call to my local pharmacist confirmed that it will kill everything and anything bug related.
Had 2 shaves with it and havnt fallen down with a mystery illness yet!

Thanks for all the replies guys, its the stainless steel body. I already have a steam sterilizer for the baby, so a quick call to my local pharmacist confirmed that it will kill everything and anything bug related.
Had 2 shaves with it and havnt fallen down with a mystery illness yet!

A Fat Boy is nickel plated brass not stainless steel.

Heat can't hurt the brass.
The problem with gold Gillette's is they have a clear coat that turns brownish orange with age.
Boiling or harsh chemicals will remove this coating, which BTW isn't always a bad thing.
Oven cleaner will remove the lacquer nicely.
They're special lacquers made for coating brass that would probably do a good job on a gold razor.

So you're advocating on a Gillete (which has a coating) to actually remove the coating and re apply a new one. That makes sense.

dpm802 said:
Don't leave anything sitting in Barbicide overnight. It will stain the finish, and be impossible to remove. I learned this the hard way.

A 10-15 minute bath, with frequent agitation, should be sufficient. Disassembe the razor as far as you can so that the Barbicide reaches all surfaces. You might want to lubricate it afterwards, with mineral oil.

You can simulate the effect of an autoclave by purchasing a pressure cooker. These are available at any place that sells small kitchen appliances, starting at $20 on up. (Plus, when you're not shaving, you can cook stuff in it.)

You're saying Barbicide ruins the coating or the finish itself (i.e. removes coating and finish)?

You're saying Barbicide ruins the coating or the finish itself (i.e. removes coating and finish)?

I don't know that much about the metallurgy involved, but I have experienced it both ways.

I soaked some stainless-steel combs overnight, and it left some dark stains on the combs, where they touched each other in the solution.

I also soaked a pair of hand-clippers, metallic content unknown, and it appeared to eat off the coating and left just bare metal underneath.

In any case, Barbicide only needs about 10~15 minutes to do its job ... keep agitating the object, or stir the liquid frequently, for best results.

Top Bottom