What's new

shaving scuttle

I have a Georgetown scuttle that I have been using for about two months. It keeps my lather warm for a 4 pass shave. I would definitely recommend it.

Enry, what I suggest is that you read all you can about them here in the forums, looking to match your habits and likes to your perfect scuttle.

For instance, do you face lather, bowl lather or a bit of both? ; how hot does your fawcet water get? Do you have a personal issue against letting the water run to 'load' the scuttle so it gets hot? If you plan to use a microwave or a hot plate or water boiler it takes a bit more time if you select the thicker ceramic.
I have to add because its been brought up too, do you care if the scuttle is hand turned or made in molds?
Are you happy with the color choices?
In other words, the best scuttle will be the one that best accomodates to you or that you'll be happy accomodating to it.
Each one does an exellent job I think, but they do have their quirks that you have to be aware of.
I have a Georgetown G3 that works exceptionally well for me, had a G4 briefly that I found performed exactly the same for how I use it, but admitedly added another dimension with the bigger water jacket; for me though it made no difference.
Just my $0.02 :-D

I have the Dirty Bird, thanks to SWMBO. She liked it because it was green -like the bathroom:rolleyes:- but I like it because it is awesome. Four lather applications and my lather is still hot. I can't give you a side by side comparison like the Previous Poster, but I am very satisfied with my (wife's) purchase.

Ba ba ba Bird Bird Bird, Bird is the word!

I purchased a Dirty Bird Scuttle and think it is fantastic. Holds lots of hot water and keeps the lather near HOT if you make sure you refresh the hot water twice before building your lather. Get that puppy real warm then pour out the water in the upper bowl and start making lather. I have found it retains the heat for 4 passes plus touch ups. I have been very impressed with the Dirty Bird. Can't imagine shaving without a Scuttle now.

Just picked up the larger G4 scuttle in the orphan sale they're having in the shopping forum - looks like they're having a good deal on them. Can't wait to give it a go, tho I've been happily using a mug from http://www.mamasherbalsoaps.com/shaving.htm that my wife got me as a gift for the last few years. Is there a going to be a big difference between a mug and a scuttle?

Top Bottom