What's new

I threw away my very first DE razor today . . .

A black handle Parker TTO. I pulled it our of the back of the case to give it a shot since I figure my technique has improved over the past year.

Well, it's not me...it's the damned Parker! It bit me pretty good this morning and I'm all busted up about it. :mad:

Do the guys in India all have tree stumps for whiskers? The gap between the blade and the bar must be 16 by Gillette standards. :eek:

Enough is enough. The Parker hit the trash bin....there it won't be able to hurt another living being.

Good riddance! :biggrin:

i still have my black handled parker, ***... its a cheapo replica of a long handle superadjustable.

Another one bites the dust. But remember for every razor you throw away you need to replace it with 3 new ones.

Aw don't throw it out! Put it on the B/S/T. I'm sure someone would pay the cost of shipping to keep it out of a landfill. I know I would...

Last edited:
A black handle Parker TTO. I pulled it our of the back of the case to give it a shot since I figure my technique has improved over the past year.

Well, it's not me...it's the damned Parker! It bit me pretty good this morning and I'm all busted up about it. :mad:

Do the guys in India all have tree stumps for whiskers? The gap between the blade and the bar must be 16 by Gillette standards. :eek:

Enough is enough. The Parker hit the trash bin....there it won't be able to hurt another living being.

Good riddance! :biggrin:

Hi, Am from India.

Although India would seem to be the land of DE Razors available aplenty. Unfortunately not the case. The only two DE's available in India are plastic bodies available from Gillette India.

After hearing a lot of the "famous" parker razors on so many forums, I decided to trace its source in India. After all if they are so famous and ppl on the other side of the world buy it, why shouldnt I.

A little googling later I called up the owner of the brand himself and spoke to him about my intention of buying a razor and having it shipped from Delhi to where I am - in Mumbai.

To my amazement, he did not oblige, stating, I would have to fly two hours and pick up one myself as mail orders in India have not been successsful for him

I asked him the price of most DEs and this one will hit all you guys. Its withing Indian 200 rupees, which for all practical purposes is less than 3USD.

I do make trips to Delhi and am going to check out his facility sometime to know whats he making .... Disappointed (but not too surprised) to learn that the design has a lot lacking ...

These razor manufacturers abound in Delhi (dime-a-dozen) focussing cheifly on the export markets of Africa, and other countries poorer than us. Ofcourse the US would be a big market considering that DE Shaving as a hobbyist culture exists and people do pay a price for it....

Personally I use a FEather DE and good Indian Gillette blades when I am not using my Excel, Mach3 or fusion system...

deep first post beyboo...... I have a Parker96R I keep for sentimental value....... and welcome to B&B!!!!! go over to the new member thread and introduce yourself.......

I can't speak to the Parker TTO quality but the 3 piece razors are just fine. I have the 89r and the 91r and both have given me great shaves. The build quality is as good as any I've seen and they work well.

I have a 90R and it's just fine. It was my first DE and while I mostly use my Merkur 23 now, I still plan on using the 90R from time to time since it's a TTO. I've never had any quality problem with it.

I have a 14R on the way....3-piece with a water buffalo horn handle. Looking forward to it!

I had a Parker 91R and I thought the build quality was bad. One side had a gap that was about twice the size of the other, and within one of the sides the gap varied visibly. I never shaved with it and returned it.

eric.

^ That happens with my Merkur 23 from time to time; I correct it by just realigning the blade. But in any case, I don't care about unevenly exposed sides, since I generally just use one side anyway.

My second purchase after my early Parker slashings was a long, thin-handled Merkur. A 3-piece. I found that I have to use Derby's with it as any sharper blade causes me lacerations.

To me, a good Gillette is the way to go. I just got a super speed last week and it was super with Gillette Yellows.

...if you want a "non-throw-away" razor, you have to either (a) buy one that was made in an age when "throw-away" was scarcely in the vocabulary, i.e. most any Gillette made between just past the turn of the last century and, say, 1970 or so (some might say I'm being too generous, and set the cutoff date to about 1960), or (b) buy something from Merkur or a few companies whose razors utilize Merkur's razor heads on their own handles, like Edwin Jagger.

The Good Stuff will cost more, but not necessarily a staggering sum more, and will pay off handsomely, in more ways than one. :smile:

- Barrett

I am not familiar with the adjustable numbers on a gillette, does 16 mean aggressive or too shy? It sounds like you had a 96r as I do. You really found it to be that bad of a razor? I am happy with mine. Is it the best out there, no, but I find it to be a mild razor.

I can't speak to the Parker TTO quality but the 3 piece razors are just fine. I have the 89r and the 91r and both have given me great shaves. The build quality is as good as any I've seen and they work well.

It's hard to screw up a three piece. I do, however, have a 91r that seems to have an aggressive side and a gentle side. That means that the blade offset is not equal on both sides. QC seems to be lacking. They are solidly built though.

It's hard to screw up a three piece. I do, however, have a 91r that seems to have an aggressive side and a gentle side. That means that the blade offset is not equal on both sides. QC seems to be lacking. They are solidly built though.

Would agree with you. These companies do not even have a QC dept. Like I stated earlier, they dont even ship/sell this in India.

While this may come as a surprise, thats the way it is. No shop sells anything besides the pastic flip open Gillette DE razors

I can believe that Parker doesn't have QA! :biggrin:

The I've never seen a bigger gap between the blade and the bar on any razor. The kick is it was the FIRST DE razor I tried...it's a wonder I ever bought a second as I went through a box of band aids in two weeks. :frown:

I've found differences in Gillette adjustable and my easiest shaving one is an older gold one that has a handle which is between a long and short! I have an Aristocrat that's really good and a newer Gillette black handle that is great.

Oddly, I have three Schicks and they all shave differently. :001_huh:

Top Bottom