What's new

A possibly new final pass technique?

I'm not sure if this is new, or if I just haven't seen it yet, but today, I used a new technique...

After my ATG pass, I rinsed and felt a little stubble in a few places. So I just put leftover lather on my hand, and rubbed it on the places I felt the stubble. And shaved. Felt again, shaved once more. Felt around a bit more, and found two more places. Basically, I kept a lathered hand on my face, feeling around for the last bits of stubble, and shaved the last places, instantly after rubbing my hand over it, adding more lather and judging if it needed another pass. Kind of like blade buffing, but with added lather and instant feedback of how smooth I'd gotten it. I'm a big fan after the first day of using it, even if it does feel a bit like cheating.

Anybody else try this after all the regular passes? Any reason I might be doing some unnecessary damage to my face?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually do something like it when I have time (e.g. week-end). However, as long as I do not feel any pulling, it's ok.

I'm not sure if this is new, or if I just haven't seen it yet, but today, I used a new technique...

After my ATG pass, I rinsed and felt a little stubble in a few places. So I just put leftover lather on my hand, and rubbed it on the places I felt the stubble. And shaved. Felt again, shaved once more. Felt around a bit more, and found two more places. Basically, I kept a lathered hand on my face, feeling around for the last bits of stubble, and shaved the last places, instantly after rubbing my hand over it, adding more lather and judging if it needed another pass. Kind of like blade buffing, but with added lather and instant feedback of how smooth I'd gotten it. I'm a big fan after the first day of using it, even if it does feel a bit like cheating.

Anybody else try this after all the regular passes? Any reason I might be doing some unnecessary damage to my face?

If memory serves me correctly, this is a practice that used to get more press, but it's been over a year since I've heard/seen anyone mention it. I believe that the phrase/s coined to describe it were: Touch and Cut, TNC, T/C, T-C. It is a very helpful finishing technique. I'm glad you rediscovered it and brought it up.

One variation of this is to do the same thing with a shave stick. However you go about it, it is a handy little trick, especially along the jawline.

Huh, I've been doing the same thing. Funny that there's an official name for it. Seems like a natural way to check progress, though I like the idea of using a shave stick...

Glad to see I'm not crazy... I watched a good chunk of Mantic's videos, but didn't see this particular technique. I'm liking it so far... I usually have a couple of spots that have some stubborn stubble (just over my adam's apple, where the hair doesn't know what the heck it's doing, and along the jawline), and plain old blade buffing seemed a little severe. This works wonders.

Glad to see I'm not crazy... I watched a good chunk of Mantic's videos, but didn't see this particular technique. I'm liking it so far... I usually have a couple of spots that have some stubborn stubble (just over my adam's apple, where the hair doesn't know what the heck it's doing, and along the jawline), and plain old blade buffing seemed a little severe. This works wonders.

He does have one video that covers buffing... you seem to have the proper technique tho...

Great thread and a Kyle sighting to boot!

I tend to do the same thing...the only "harm" I see is the potential for irritation if you use this method multiple times over the same area of your face after a 3-4 pass shave.

Great thread and a Kyle sighting to boot!

I tend to do the same thing...the only "harm" I see is the potential for irritation if you use this method multiple times over the same area of your face after a 3-4 pass shave.

+1 There is just something about the tactical touch that really brings a person one on one with his beard. The problem for me is when I get too aggressive and buff a little to much.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm still new to wetshaving and it seems like the "TNC" might be something good to keep in mind.

I use this technique too, although with oil rather than soap. Rinse, apply oil, feel for rough spots and shave; dip fingers in water and feel around some more, shave some more until I'm as smooth as I want to be.

I use this very occasionally with a different twist...it usually involves turning my head at the corner, waiting to turn out of my neighborhood. I hear a whisker or two rubbing on the collar of my coat.

So...MY particular variation on this involves backing into the nearest driveway, heading home, running in to mix up a little soap, and finding the hidden culprits, while leaving the car running to stay warm.

Then it results in trying to explain why I'm late for work...but I usually lay that off to traffic...most people just don't understand...:lol::lol:

I use this very occasionally with a different twist...it usually involves turning my head at the corner, waiting to turn out of my neighborhood. I hear a whisker or two rubbing on the collar of my coat.

So...MY particular variation on this involves backing into the nearest driveway, heading home, running in to mix up a little soap, and finding the hidden culprits, while leaving the car running to stay warm.

Then it results in trying to explain why I'm late for work...but I usually lay that off to traffic...most people just don't understand...:lol::lol:

:biggrin:

All of it sounds really good - except leaving the car running! :mad3:
Maybe its 'cause I'm a hybrid driver trying to squeeze every possible mile out of every gallon of that terrorist-supporting oil from 'those' people in the middle east... (rant over, off of soap box) :blush:

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Wow! You too. I thought maybe I was the only one.

As far as leaving the car running, those of us that live where it gets darn cold understand. When my grandfather (dad's side) would stop at my other grandfather's (mom's side) to play cards, he would leave the door open and the engine running. He would announce that he could only stay for a few hands and that his engine was running. After a few hours he would take his jacket off. Then a few more hours later it was time for everyone to go to work and my grandpa's truck was still running and warm.

Top Bottom