What's new

Most Popular DE?

You will probably get Merkur Slant, Merkur HD, '40's SuperSpeed. '50's SuperSpeed, Gillette New/New Improved, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim Adjustable, Gillette Aristocrat, Gillette President/Diplomat, Gillette Super Adjustable, Gillette Tech, Schick Krona, and Gillette Old Type as your top answers. Open it up to all safety razors and you will get the GEM's and the Injectors.

Well one should remember this is a poll for "most popular" NOT most desired. I would say the fatboy on the gillette side and the HD on the merkur side... I would put just those two and see which wins.

This is one possible set. Twenty is too many.
  1. Exotic (Rolls, autostrop, other?)
  2. GEM/Ever-Ready (including Lather Catcher, Star, 1912, Micromatic or other variation)
  3. Other "budget" Modern Safety Razor (Parker, Weishi, other?)
  4. Other "high end" Modern Safety Razor (Muehle, Goodfella)
    (following Gillette categories based on Krumholz book)
  5. Gillette Old Type
  6. Gillette New Improved
  7. Gillette NEW with three-hole alignment
  8. Gillette NEW with bar alignment
  9. Gillette Goodwill
  10. Gillette Early One Piece (TTO)
  11. Gillette Later One Piece (Super Speed TTO)
  12. Gillette Tech
  13. Gillette Adjustable
    (following Merkur categories based on what's available from Vintage Blades and Classic Shaving)
  14. Merkur Classic (23C, 33C, 42C, Travel, or gold variants)
  15. Merkur Open comb (12C, 41C, or gold variants)
  16. Merkur HD Classic (34C, 38C, or gold or colored handle variants, NOT slants)
  17. Merkur Slant (37C, 39C, or gold variants, including HD slants)
  18. Merkur Progress
  19. Mercur Futur
  20. Merkur Vision

Here is a more concise set:
  1. Other old safety razor (GEM/Ever-Ready including Lather Catcher, Star,1912, Micromatic or other variations, Rolls, autostrop, other?)
  2. Other modern safety razor (Parker, Weishi, Muehle, Goodfella)
  3. Gillette Old Type
  4. Gillette New Improved
  5. Gillette NEW including Goodwill and other variations
  6. Gillette Early One Piece (TTO)
  7. Gillette Later One Piece (Super Speed TTO)
  8. Gillette Tech
  9. Gillette Adjustable
    (following Merkur categories based on what's available from Vintage Blades and Classic Shaving)
  10. Merkur Classic (23C, 33C, 42C, Travel, or gold variants)
  11. Merkur Open comb (12C, 41C, or gold variants)
  12. Merkur HD Classic (34C, 38C, or gold or colored handle variants, NOT slants)
  13. Merkur Slant (37C, 39C, or gold variants, including HD slants)
  14. Other Merkur (Progress, Futur, Vision)

A final trim to get it to 12:

1. Other old safety razor (GEM/Ever-Ready including Lather Catcher, Star,1912, Micromatic or other variations, Rolls, autostrop, other?)
  3. Gillette Old Type
  4. Gillette NEW and New Improved including Goodwill and other variations
  5. Gillette TTO including Super Speed
  6. Gillette Tech
  7. Gillette Adjustable
  8. Merkur Classic (23C, 33C, 42C, Travel, or gold variants)
  9. Merkur Open comb (12C, 41C, or gold variants)
  10. Merkur HD Classic (34C, 38C, or gold or colored handle variants, NOT slants)
  11. Merkur Slant (37C, 39C, or gold variants, including HD slants)
  12. Other Merkur (Progress, Futur, Vision)

I'm not sure what this poll is about :confused: . . . The title reads "most popular DE", but in the opening post it asks about the most popular "safety razor". Those terms are not synonymous. Also included in the term "safety razors", besides DE's, you also have SE's and injectors and perhaps even disposables and cartridge razors, :w00t: .

In a later post you indicate what you are after is, "If you could only have one razor, what would it be". This is a different question from the two above. I don't doubt that my favorite isn't likely the "most popular".

If you are really asking about the most popular DE, I would say the Gillette Superspeed or perhaps the Merkur HD.

If you are asking about the most popular safety razor, I suppose it would likely be one of those plastic things. :frown:

If you are asking about my favorite safety razor, my vote would go to the 1900/1901 patent Gem Jr. Bar Razor which is certainly not a DE.

If you are asking about my favorite DE, it would likely be the red tip Superspeed or possibly the Barbasol Razor.

So, for the four different polls you seem to be taking, there are my four answers. :001_smile

Regards,
Tom

I think it is Merkur HD. This model is in production since 1931, almost unchanged...

And those Super Speeds are popular, but you have many models (40s style, 50s Flare tip which includes blue,red and silver tip, then 60s&70s black handled...), and they all are Super speeds, but they are very different...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
erudolph
I can give it a shot but Bob did the hard work

Bob
Very good list. It would give a good idea on who prefer what and considering that we can only create a poll with 12 options, it cannot be more detailed than that.

Tom
I think that erudolph idea was to ask "If you could reach for one razor only, which one could it be? Which razor would you use the most often?"

---
This could be a good first poll and maybe it can be broken in different manifacturer after (new polls). Like, same question but Gillette only poll, Merkur only, etc.

Just ask "What is your favorite shaving implement" and keep score at home. If you keep abreast of the forums, you can get a good idea of the popular razors without having to resort to a poll. You can also do a search and more than likely find numerous examples of similar polls/questions.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
How come it took 14 prior posts to come to this consensus? I'd be interested to see how a poll came out. Either way we seem to have a great deal of enthusiasm.

One has nothing to do with the other. I have been noticing many of these polls lately are being lead off by newer members, which is great, but I think many of those who have tried many different razors and products, and have been around awhile, just don't chime in as quickly as they used to. I'm not sure why. Maybe they are just too busy talking about coffee, tea or food these days.

I think most popular at any given time will revolve around what is most easily available for a fair price and that will change over time. While a poll today may very easily be different from a poll a year or two ago, it has nothing to do with where a person chimes in with their choice. I have even seen polls swing 180 degrees, after a pretty good head of steam, on Monday when those who don't check-in on the weekend go back to "work."

Are you asking what is the most popular in that most people have it or what is the "best" shaver DE? Two different questions, IMHO.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I turn around for 2 minutes and more that 5 replies to the thread... You guys are on fire...

Hum, before someone submit a poll, I think that we all agree on the question that is: What is your favorite shaving implement?

The list, putted together by Bob with 12 options:

1.Other old safety razor (GEM/Ever-Ready including Lather Catcher, Star,1912, Micromatic or other variations, Rolls, autostrop, other?)

3.Gillette Old Type
4.Gillette NEW and New Improved including Goodwill and other variations
5.Gillette TTO including Super Speed
6.Gillette Tech
7.Gillette Adjustable

8.Merkur Classic (23C, 33C, 42C, Travel, or gold variants)
9.Merkur Open comb (11C, 12C, 41C, or gold variants)
10.Merkur HD Classic (34C, 38C, or gold or colored handle variants, NOT slants)
11.Merkur Slant (37C, 39C, or gold variants, including HD slants)
12. Other Merkur (Progress, Futur, Vision)

---
I understand that some models will be very different from one another (all the superspeed versions). But, I think we could have a Superspeed poll later or a Gillette poll, then the Merkur poll...

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom