What's new

First the good news and then the bad news on my frozen Toggle

So I posted on another thread about the mechanical problems my toggle was having (would not go below 3). After several days soaking in mineral oil and some very firm twisting with a vice grip, the adjusting knob would now turns down to 1! Yes!!!

But the bad news, in getting it to twist down to the final adjustment setting (from about 1.5 to 1) something snapped in the click mechanism and now the razor has lost its click stops! Oh No!

So the suggestions worked sort of, but now I'm left with a new probably unfixable problem. I still wonder if the razor is mechanically correct though, because moving the adjusting knob did not change any blade angle nor did it alter the gap between the blade and safety bar (even before my latest fix):frown:

Condolences welcome, even better if you have a shaver grade (mechanically sound) Toggle you'd be willing to part with for a decent price. My total experience has convinced me I want to try shaving with a working Toggle.

When I got to the part about the vise-grips, I cringed: it's hard not to get overzealous with one of those. I'd have gone for something smaller and easier to finesse.

That said, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, someone might have either a solution fo fix yours, or, failing that, a not-too-pricey Toggle they're willing to let go of. Best of luck!

- Barrett

Thanks, I started with a simple grip cloth and worked up to a wrench, then the vise grip. My zealousness set in when I got it to unfreeze past the 3 setting where it was stuck, but could not get it to move down to 1. The last half-setting twist is what did the damage.:frown:

Sounds like you have a one of a kind Toggle SuperSpeed. Is it a Blue Tip? Is it a 40's SuperSpeed? Is it a 50's SuperSpeed? Is it a Red Tip? Let us know after you shave with it. :biggrin:

OUCH! My condolences on the recent demise of your Toggle! Keep a look out on the Bay as there have been some halfway decenet deals on and off for some of these. You just might be suprised and get a great deal from a member here!

It would depend on the condition, but I would pay $50 to $75 for a shaver. If you start talking about three figures, then it has to be in pretty good cosmetic condition, too.

Top Bottom