What's new

Help Wiring New flush mount light.

I just purchased a flush mount light. It has 2 bulbs as opposed to my old light with 1 bulb. So the light has 1 ground, 2 white wires and 2 black wires. My problem is that the electrical box has 2 black, 2 white, 1 ground, and 1 red. I hooked it up the way I thought you should ( black to black and white to white and ground to ground). Didn't hook the red. Switched light on and it didn't work. I think the red has something to do with the power switch cause once I hooked that up it worked but only one light came on. After 2 hours of trying different combinations, I hooked up both blacks from the light to the red, both whites to one of the whites. Now it works but there are 2 black and 1 white cable not going to anything.

Is this ok as far as safety to hook up both bulb wires to one set of wiring instead of two? I covered the wires not being used with plastic nut/covers.

Also what type of setup do I have (red wire????). Here are some pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think you may be looking at a three way switch there. Better make sure before you screw around with it.

I think you may be looking at a three way switch there. Better make sure before you screw around with it.

Good point! Do you have two wall switches for that light?

Are you replacing an existing light? I know it's a bit late, but I always note how the light, switch, outlet I'm replacing is hooked up before I remove it.

With all of the non-shaving related knowledge from the folks here, I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

I can help, but I need more info.

1. Look in the back of the box to see how many CABLES (not wires) are coming into the box. (Looks like 2: one cable with a black, white and bare, and one with a red, black, and white).

2. Try to determine which of these is the HOT cable. Put a tester across the black and white from each cable. Also check the red and white.

3. Was there a ceiling fan there originally?

4. How many wall switches operate this light?

If you can answer any of these questions, I can go from there.

I can help, but I need more info.

1. Look in the back of the box to see how many CABLES (not wires) are coming into the box. (Looks like 2: one cable with a black, white and bare, and one with a red, black, and white).

2. Try to determine which of these is the HOT cable. Put a tester across the black and white from each cable. Also check the red and white.

3. Was there a ceiling fan there originally?

4. How many wall switches operate this light?

If you can answer any of these questions, I can go from there.

1) Looks like one cable has a black and white. The other has black,red, and white. Then there is the copper colored ground.
2) I put a tester across the black and white from one cable and no response from the tester. These were the same cables that didn't light the one bulb.
3) Never had a ceiling fan since we purchased the preowned home 5 years ago.
4) One switch in the room

I had so many combinations that I forgot what did what but one setup the lights came on with the switch off. Basically it made the switch obsolete and just constantly stayed on.

I am tired and have it mounted now using the setup on my original post so I didn't get a chance to test the red and white wires with the tester.

Does the switch work with your current setup?

The next step is to pull the switch out and see how many cables and wires are in there. That's what I would do before I proceeded any further.

Does the switch work with your current setup?

The next step is to pull the switch out and see how many cables and wires are in there. That's what I would do before I proceeded any further.

I would have to agree with Norm. This appears to be set up for a light and a variable speed ceiling fan.

It is in a bedroom that will be a nursery. Size if I had to guess is 12x15.

I at one time tried to install a ceiling fan but I couldn't get it to work. I have insteaded a few ceiling fans in the past but for some reason (I don't know if it was due to the wiring) but it didn't work. i tried various wiring sequences for several hours with no luck.

Also wouldn't it be a bad idea to put a ceiling fan in with a plastic electrical box?

Call an electrician. Trying random combinations of wires isn't a good idea in a room your kids will be sleeping in. The "extra" wires are there for a reason. No one installs copper wire for no reason. It is too expensive.

I did electrical work for about 5 years. There are only two basic ways to wire a single pole switch correctly, but there are also a few ways that, although they work, could be dangerous.

You're right about the plastic box; A ceiling fan could strip the threads out and fall. I have seen them installed that way, though.

Last edited:
are you calling the all copper wire a ground?

if so its not a ground it is there to hold the light up for you while you are connecting your wires .

Black/red usually your hot wires

white is usually your neutral

Green is what is usually used for ground

your best option if you do not have a real electrical meter is to go to home depot and buy a cheap $10 meter that has 2 wires with a probe(black and red) connected to a piece of plastic that has lights on it . these are pretty good to have around the house .

before you go to the wires plug the new meter into an outlet to verify it works . once you put the two probes in the outlet the 110v light should light up . now continue on with your wiring . I will PM you my cell# and you can give me a call and I can try and walk you through the connections

Nick

No I am not an electrician . I do HVAC but work with wiring all the time and have a lot of knowledge of the stuff

Top Bottom