What's new

Moving Cross Country

Hey All,

I'm looking for moving advice from some of you that may have done this before. I worked the last five years for Best Buy, and left last November having been a Sales Manager for them for the last two of those years. I have wanted to attend culinary school for a few years now and finally decided to pull the trigger. I will be attending CSN in Las Vegas this fall, and will be moving to LV from just outside Kansas City in July. Any advice? Suggestions? I'm working two jobs now, and making half of what I did but I'm determined to make this happen. Anybody make this kind of move before?

Hey All,

I'm looking for moving advice from some of you that may have done this before. I worked the last five years for Best Buy, and left last November having been a Sales Manager for them for the last two of those years. I have wanted to attend culinary school for a few years now and finally decided to pull the trigger. I will be attending CSN in Las Vegas this fall, and will be moving to LV from just outside Kansas City in July. Any advice? Suggestions? I'm working two jobs now, and making half of what I did but I'm determined to make this happen. Anybody make this kind of move before?

I have been living in Thailand for the last 4 years as I got sick of America so picked up and left, many thought I was insane to do this :w00t:

Follow your heart is often the best advice you can give yourself

Ya only live once

Congratulations on following your dream. It may seem like a big step now, but in a few years looking back you see it as the obvious thing to do.

I did something like that years ago. I moved from Detroit to Houston. Not really on a whim, but I was tired of my job, Detroit was stagnant then (and worse now) and Houston was booming. Back then it took all of two weeks to find a job.

Advice? Be yourself. Everything will be a bit awkward at first because everything and everybody will be new. Find a place to live and make some new friends. Soon you will find yourself developing a new routine and things will seem much more comfortable and familiar.

I found my wife here and that is about as good as it gets. That and bunch of new friends.

And keep in touch here at B&B. No grander group of guys to hang with no matter where you live.

From a moving perspective, the drive through the Rockies on highway 70 is beautiful. There are some beautiful areas in Utah on highway 15; Fish Lake national forest comes to mind. If you are renting a big truck, this might not be the easiest way to move since you're dragging your stuff over a lot of mountains.

When I move someplace new I always try and find a place to live that's near where I work. Once I get familiar with the area and the traffic patterns then it's not so bad to move around. You might want to talk to the culinary school or some of our fellow B&B members about some nice places to live in Vegas.

I've always found the best way to get to know an area is through your hobbies. Find a gym, go hiking, etc. Anything that gets you out of your normal social circle is a great way to get to know a place. There's so much to do in Vegas it will probably take years before you get bored with the place.

I've moved across the country three times now. Missouri to California for school. California to Georgia for school, again. And finally Georgia to Boston. I'm sure I'll have to move at least one more time.

Top Bottom