What's new

Opinions of Shaving Cream

Well I think I now have SCAD. I have Kiss My Face (I find it lacks in latherability), Proraso (love it, but a lot needed I find), and Cremo (haven't yet tried it). What are some creams that are especially good for the buck, and are excellent latherers? I've been looking at Geo F. Trumper's and considering buying a tube to try, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Where in the world are you? Europeans usually have access to more inexpensive good performers than in North America (Palmolive European, Ingrams Blue, Erasmic Cream, etc). Conversely JM Frasers from Canada gets a good write up and can't be easily had this side of the pond...

I think the JM Fraser is a good cream at a great price. Also, I think that the 5 oz tube of Real Shaving Co. cream for $5 at Rite-aid is a pretty good deal if you don't mind the fragrance.

Taylors (TOBS). Excellent all around. You can get a new tub for $13.99 from Shaving Essentials. Best value around.

In spite of being a soap guy, I've tried a lot of creams. Musgo Real is one of the few I have that I will most definitely replace. Frasers is excellent and has the most bang for the buck. Both are in the $10-12 range. If you want a true English cream, Taylors are excellent and the best value in that catagory for $13-14.

Best bang for the buck? JM Frasers, Wars, Arko, Derby, Cremo. Although I really don't like Cremo. The others are all excellent. A little more money but still great value is Speick.

i have never tried taylors but the price makes it definately a good choice. i've always heard good things about the vulfix creams.

honestly though i would say art of shaving or truefitt & hill. it might be a bit pricey but the quality of those 2 creams are just amazing.

Where in the world are you? Europeans usually have access to more inexpensive good performers than in North America (Palmolive European, Ingrams Blue, Erasmic Cream, etc). Conversely JM Frasers from Canada gets a good write up and can't be easily had this side of the pond...

I reside in upstate NY for the moment.

Tabac is a good choice and dittos to the J M Fraser. The new formulation of The Body Shop is a good choice if you can live with the scent. I prefer the scent of the old formula, but for me the jury is out on the new one. Once you get the water/cream ration, Saint Charles Shave's creams are also a good choice.

Usually on all of the above, an almond size blob is sufficient. I get excellent results, i.e. lot of lather, from KMF when I use two pumps work of their cream.

Musgo Real makes a nice cream, and has soaps balms, etc. Love the scent.

I also like the EJ Sandalwood cream, but Musgo Real is still my favorite.

EDIT: How could I forget . . . TOBS. Love the Avocado cream.

Last edited:
You might order a sampler from Trumpers, it's $5 or so and you get 4 cream samples, 3 skin food and 6 cologne's not a bad deal. T&H also offers a nice sampler for a little more. Also check out www.badgerdecants.com for samples of some of the previously mentioned creams.

Cheers,
David

Well I think I now have SCAD. I have Kiss My Face (I find it lacks in latherability), Proraso (love it, but a lot needed I find), and Cremo (haven't yet tried it). What are some creams that are especially good for the buck, and are excellent latherers? I've been looking at Geo F. Trumper's and considering buying a tube to try, but I'm open to any suggestions.

In UK we can get Palmolive, Ingram and Erasmic for under £2.00 - all are very highly regarded. I have used GFT coconut cream which was a brilliant cream with a nice scent but not worth the extra £ compared to the cheaper options.

Trumpers is good, but not great bang for the buck - not compared to stuff like Wars! Wars in terms of quality for price kicks pretty much everything else into next week.

Speick is also excellent, as is Fraser. Derby is also a contender. It doesn't get a lot of love here, but if I had to survive on just Derby, I suppose I could manage. Unscented is the stuff - its not scent free, but just smells nice and clean. Their scented versions are not worth the trouble. They work, mind you, but they don't compare to most others in terms of smelling awesome.

+1 vote for Speick. It was my first shaving cream but I always have one in my cabinet.

Another favourite is TOBS (especially avocado).

EDIT: How could I forget . . . TOBS. Love the Avocado cream.

This is a spectacular cream.

When I first joined this club it was talked about all the time.
It is especially nice in the Spring and Summer.

Bit of an odd scent. Smells kinda cucumberey.

Top Bottom