What's new

Help with my new addiction

I have been wet shaving for a few months now and I have settled on a Merkur HD, Derby Extra blades, Proraso cream, and Brut ASB. So far so good. But I am addicted! Here is the problem, I am in my Ph.D. program in Marriage and Family Therapy, married with 3 kids, and DIRT POOR! (This is also what attracts me to DE blades, great shaves and CHEAP!) I digress... I have very sensitive skin, and I am sticking with my HD and my Derby blades to perfect the technique, but would love to try some pre-shave or ASBs that could help my skin. I still get more bumps on my neck and chin than I would like, but still far better than with my old Mach 3 or (shudder) my electric shaver. I was wondering if anyone out there had some scents they did not like or extras, samples, small remnants in the bottom of a tub, etc. that they would love to get rid of. I would be happy to pay for shipping. Please, help feed my addiction while I am finishing school, after which I will gladly pay it forward as I rake in the big bucks as Dr. Shaves A Lot! Remember, sensitive skin related stuff, or anything else that you feel like throwing my way to help my feverish desires for the ultimate shave. :001_smile Thanks, and happy shaving!

You could try extra virgin olive oil as a pre-shave, which doesn't cost the earth and would do your skin the world of good. You could also put this request in the B/S/T forum, I'm sure someone would help you out.:001_smile

Good luck with the studies:thumbup1:

+ 1 on the olive oil.
You might also want to try some witchhazel with no alcohol.
In addition, Nivea has a very inexpensive ASB that is for extra sensitive skin. I have a number of more expensive ASBs but still go back to the Nivea from time to time.

I have some of that Nivea ASB. I guess it's pretty good from the standpoint of "good for your skin" but it smells like ***. Reminds me of old ladies hand lotion.

I picked it up from Walgreen's for four bucks and change. I'm not sure it's worth the postage but you are welcome to it.

Have you tried RP Personnas? Great shave (for me anyway) in a Merkur and half the price of Derbys. I'd be happy to drop a few your way if you PM me your address. I might also have some Nivea that I could send you, but have to check.

Oh, and welcome to the B&B!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far! I will try the olive oil, but I am wondering what oil will do to the "wet" of wet shaving since oil and water are bitter enemies. Any feedback on this would be great. Also, as to location, I am in UT, USA. Thanks for your feedback, and I will PM some of you. Thanks!
I will put this in B/S/T as suggested. You guys are a helpful bunch!

I might have just the thing for you.
I have about half a tub of Coates Lime which works pretty well, but I'm not sold on the scent.

I'd be happy to PIF that and a couple of extra goodies. Just PM me your address.

Top Bottom