What's new

Painful razor burns

Hi,

I just started shaving with a DE razor, and i get really nasty razor burn.

I have the Merkur 34C and have been shaving with a feather blade.

I just completed my second shave with the new razor, and my face got red, hot and really irritated. I even got several cuts

I use a good shaving soap from Edwin Jagger, and a good badger brush, and before my shave i even had a bath.

Before my switch to DE i used a pretty blunt gillette fusion and regular hand soap, and i never got burns or cuts.

I have watched mantics videos on youtube, so i know the basics of wet shaving, so i can't understand why my face reacts like this. :frown:

Could it be that the blade is too sharp? I just took out the feather blade and swtched it with the merkur blade that came with the razor. I guess i will be trying it in a couple of days.

But please, give me advice and tips!

Hi,

I just started shaving with a DE razor, and i get really nasty razor burn.

I have the Merkur 34C and have been shaving with a feather blade.

I just completed my second shave with the new razor, and my face got red, hot and really irritated. I even got several cuts

I use a good shaving soap from Edwin Jagger, and a good badger brush, and before my shave i even had a bath.

Before my switch to DE i used a pretty blunt gillette fusion and regular hand soap, and i never got burns or cuts.

I have watched mantics videos on youtube, so i know the basics of wet shaving, so i can't understand why my face reacts like this. :frown:

Could it be that the blade is too sharp? I just took out the feather blade and swtched it with the merkur blade that came with the razor. I guess i will be trying it in a couple of days.

But please, give me advice and tips!

It might be the Feather blade. Please don't use the Merkur blade. Get a blade sample pack and try a few other ones out. Make sure your technique is good as well.

It might be the Feather blade. Please don't use the Merkur blade. Get a blade sample pack and try a few other ones out. Make sure your technique is good as well.

The merkur blade came wrapped in paper, so it shouldn't be blunt.

I agree, it might be the feather blade. I've been DE shaving for about 8 months and just tried a feather. I think my technique is pretty good (always improving) and my face felt beat up. Probably shouldn't have gone after that BBS shave. Most would say (and I wholeheartedly agree) that the feather is the sharpest blade around. The feather will be unforgiving to unrefined technique. On the merkur, most HATE them, but some really love them. Get a sampler pack and use them in the recommended order. Focus on technique. Good Luck!

Hi Carolus Welcome to BandB.

Although I didn't start with feathers, I had pretty bad experiences with my first couple of shaves. First with the Merkur blade and then with CVS brand.

I think the change to Derby's helped A LOT and improving my pre and post shave care was probably the most important change. I use feathers now and find them to be absolutely awesome but I would be hesitant to shave if my face wasn't ready.

I also watched Mantic's vids (so much that my fiancee knew when I was re-watching one) but it still took several shaves to find what works for me.

What are you doing to prep you face for the shave?

How much pressure do you apply while shaving?

What does your lather look like? Can you make self standing peaks or is it kinda runny? Are there big bubbles?

I don't see a downside in giving the Merkur blade a try. Give your face a day off and give your self a chance to heal up.

Get a sampler pack and use them in the recommended order.

What is the recommended order? For example, I have a West Coast Shaving "Choice" pack: Feather, Crystal, Derby, Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge and Dorco. Is there any order these should be tried in?

What is the recommended order? For example, I have a West Coast Shaving "Choice" pack: Feather, Crystal, Derby, Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge and Dorco. Is there any order these should be tried in?

I bought the cheap $5.50 sampler pack and I like it so far. a couple of the blades caused some razor burn for me but i've learned to skip shaves, use less pressure and to refine my technique. so far this has worked for me. i'm too scared to try the Feathers :frown:

Thanks for your answers.

The lather is quite nice i think. Not like the can stuff, but still pretty thick.

I try not to put pressure on the razor, and i think i'm doing pretty good.

Before i shave i always rinse my face with hot water, or take a shower or bath.

I have heard that razor burns comes from the usage of blunt razors, not really sharp blades like the feather, so i can't really understand why my skin hates it.

Well, i will be trying the merkur blade, and think extra of the pressure from the razor.

Another thing i came to think of is that i shave against the grain. I'm used to be able to do that with the fusion, but maybe it's a whole other think with a sharp DE?

How much pressure do you apply while shaving?

What does your lather look like? Can you make self standing peaks or is it kinda runny? Are there big bubbles?

I don't see a downside in giving the Merkur blade a try. Give your face a day off and give your self a chance to heal up.

Hey, I can go along with that! Ease up Pal.

Another thing i came to think of is that i shave against the grain. I'm used to be able to do that with the fusion, but maybe it's a whole other think with a sharp DE?

I only go ATG on my last pass. my first couple of passes are WTG and the last pass is ATG to smooth things out. you want to shave the bristles down WTG first before going ATG imo.

I only go ATG on my last pass. my first couple of passes are WTG and the last pass is ATG to smooth things out. you want to shave the bristles down WTG first before going ATG imo.

Yeah, that's have i do it too. ATG is the third ans last pass.

I agree that the feather blades can be very unforgiving without great technique. I'm also inclined to believe that the feathers are the culprit (combined with technique problems). I would recommend that you try a Derby or Red Israeli Personna.

You will hear people talk about blades in terms of sharpness and smoothness. Feathers are super sharp (and many claim that there are none sharper), but aren't often described as being 'smooth'. It took me a while to figure it out, but you will eventually find a balance between the two and that will be your blade of choice.

In order to get a great shave, I've found that everything must come together: Prep, lather, blade, razor, technique, AS, etc.

Last edited:
I just hope there is some solution to this, cause i spent quite a lot of money on my new shaving gear. :frown:

don't be discouraged. i'm also relatively new to wetshaving and still get the occasional nick and bout with razor burn, but i'm getting better at it. wetshaving isn't an exact science and it varies from person to person. it can depend on all sorts of factors like blade type, how much pressure you're using, frequency of shaves, skin type, etc. my first week I cut myself so many times and thought I got a bad batch of blades from my sampler pack, but I experimented a little and figured out a system that works for me. hang in there.....you'll get it eventually.

Yeah. I try to keep it in the angle where i can hear that it cuts the beard, and i guess that have to be right.

Well, if you have it too steep it will sound like you are cutting hairs, but could actually be scraping off skin too. Alas razor burn.

It can take several weeks for your skin to get used to a DE too. Try using the DE less frequently until your face adjusts.

Top Bottom