What's new

Is the 34 C too short?

A 34 C just arrived in the mail. The handle seems short to me. It is certainly shorter than the handle of my Parker, but will I find it hard to use? I'm 6 feet with normal sized hands. :confused:

Hey New Orleans, I', 6'3'' and been shaving with a 34 C for about 2 months now and I find no problem with the handle length.

generally accepted correct technique will be to hold the razor between your thumb and only one or two fingers. you shouldn't need to grip the entire handle length in your full hand so it really shouldn't matter much. a shorter handle will provide a different balance overall but that can be adapted to.

I was trying to get across that I have somewhat long fingers, though not freakishly long. My fingers are longer than the fingers of someone who is 4' 11". I was wondering if people with big hands are more comfortable with a longer handle.

A 34 C just arrived in the mail. The handle seems short to me. It is certainly shorter than the handle of my Parker, but will I find it hard to use? I'm 6 feet with normal sized hands. :confused:

I'm 5'11, size 12 shoe, fairly large hands. I've used the HD for about 9 months, quite comfortably.

When I first got it, I had the same reaction as you, and wondered aloud why the handle was so short. Turns out, the handle length is perfect for DE shaving- in fact, a lot of times, I'll actually choke up on it.

Don't worry, the designers of Merkur razors know what they are doing!

Sounds like you might need to check out the Merkur Zweihänder :whistling:

I find the 34c to be an ideal, easily controlled design. I think of it as similar to a scalpel or an X-acto knife. There's enough handle there to have excellent precision control.

Last edited:
Why do they make the long-handled models?

As I understand it, the longer handled barber poles are good razors, also, but I wouldn't want one. No need for it- to me, the handle would be TOO long, and the razor would be too heavy for my taste. Just my 2 cents, though, as some guys swear by them.

To me, the regular HD is balanced perfectly, and is very ergonomically sound.

At any rate, I would advise giving the regular HD a fair shot, and keep an open mind about it, before you rush out to get a longer handled razor. A big thing about DE shaving is letting the razor do the work for you, and a heavier, longer razor may not be what the doctor ordered, trust me.

Last edited:
This post cracked me up...

How are height..and razor handle length related??

Umm, I guess we are assuming taller guys usually have bigger hands... The original poster was worried that his hands would be too big for the handle

But you are right- that may not be true ALL of the time.

You really don't need a longer handle. If you notice most of the time you are choking up on the handle any way.

In my opinion, the 34C is just right. When I unboxed my 34C, I thought it was a joke! It is my first DE razor, and it's just fine.

Have fun!!!

Is the 34C the standard, inexpensive Murker? If so, that is my go to razor. I actually just shaved with a Parker this morning and it was way more agressive than my regular razor.

However, I like the shorter handle on my Murker. It's easy to get around my face with it. I'm a relatively big guy to: 6'3" and about 230lbs.

In my opinion, the 34C is just right. When I unboxed my 34C, I thought it was a joke! It is my first DE razor, and it's just fine.

Have fun!!!
I thought the same exact thing when I first opened mine a year ago! :lol: I rotate it with the 38 c; love them both!

Why do they make the long-handled models?

It's all about marketing, which gives us wet shavers the opportunity to buy and try different tools to get that BBS shave. I, like you, wear the one-size-fits-all earmuffs. For this reason, I bought the Merkur 38C razor as my first razor because of the long handle, and I have been using it for about a year. I have since found out that I get the best shaves when I use/hold only the top one-third of the handle. I have just ordered a Merkur 37G, which has the same handle as the 34C. It's all about the quality of the experience you get with your tool and not about the size of the tool.

Top Bottom