What's new

Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake

Hello lads. I dug out the 1792 Flake yesterday to see how it had held up to the ravages of time. 3 years, 10 months to be exact. When I first bought this tin of tobacco I popped it open and thought I'd stepped into a rubber factory! It reeked. It was also fairly moist and did not rub out well. It smoked harshly and I thought I'd really stepped in it this time. So I put it away for a month or so and revisisted it. Much better but still quite strong and provided a nicotine wallop. It really did smoke much more mellow that time around. All the recent talk of pipes and tobacco just made me go get it out.

Over the last few years I've really neglected the pipes. This comes and goes for me and especially over the summer I don't crave the Hobbit Weed. Comes a late September or October wind from the north and I immediately want my wool caps, briars, and a hefty Virginia flake. This aged 1792 does not dissapoint. As you can see from the photos, these flakes look like jerky or fried bacon. When I first got the tin they were an oily looking black. As you can see they dried up considerably and shrunken a bit to boot. As it stands now, they are really too dry. I should toss on of my humidifying buttons in the tin for a day or so. However, I grabbed up a Stanwell bent went to work. The rubbing out of the flake was much easier now but it tended to break in little shards. It really does need just the tiniest hint of moisture. It was tough getting a charring light going but once I did the smoking was easy. I sip these flakes gently and if they go out, so be it. This one did a number of times and I gently relit with the Corona Old Boy lighter to no ill effect. Virginia tobaccos are very forgiving of relights in my experience and this was no exception. It started off strong like a cigar tobacco but at mid bowl it developed a sweeter and nuttier flavour and became mild. A very flavourful and cool smoke followed and it was an altogether enjoyable 45 minutes or so. I suspect I had a 1/2 tsp. of unuburned dottle in the bottlom of the bowl. Only very little moisture was to be seen in the bowl afterward. If properly humidified and prepped better, I would not have been surprised to have gotten an hour out of the fairly large bowled Stanwell.

All in all, this 1792 is an amazing chameleon. To be sure, it is not for the faint of heart. Especially at first opening. I also caution you about open tins. Most aging of Va. tobaccos is done in a sealed tin. Once it's open the dynamic changes. I kept this one closed up and in a fairly stable temp in a closet in the house. Away from strong temp and light changes. It worked out quite well but sometimes these things go straight south. I am truly amazed at the properties of aged Va. tobacco. The mellowing alone is worth the wait most times. The complexity and nuanced flavours are what keeps these at the top of my list. Better weedage in the Shire I can't imagine.

Regards, Todd

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Tim- do yourself a favor and avoid that one until you can stomach a bowl of Old Ironsides (which I can't).:eek:

Ouch does not kid. I sometimes forget that I can huff Va's. with no problem. Many have a lot of trouble with tongue bite from the natural heat of the sugars. 1792 does not forgive the young or foolish. If you do try it, let it air thoroughly before smoking. Then do so in a small bowled pipe. Remember, with ANY tobacco, if it feels hot and acrid to the tongue, it is! Slow down, let the pipe go out, and try it again in a few mintues. Ideally the pipe smoke should only be lukewarm in the mouth. If the pipe is gurgling it's too hot, the tobacco's too moist or both. Take it easy at firtst. Ouch's suggestions of blends like Penzanze and Marlin Flake are to be heeded. They haven't gotten the following they do by being mediocre. Another really nice blend for pipers of any experience is the Frog Morton line from McClellands. Most newbies take to these fairly quickly.

Regards, Todd

Todd, you'll appreciate this one. My first bowl of quality pipe tobacco, 20 years ago, was McClellands #22. Not knowing better, I huffed that one down faster than Mark TSSB chasing the ice cream man, and suffered the worst tongue bite and mouth burn for the better part of a week. I learned my lesson, though.

Just picked up a tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou. I know Scotto is no perique fan, but I am anxious to try this. Interestingly, I met the guy who bought the last working perique farm in St. James Parish, LA, this weekend while in Charleston, SC. His name is Mark Ryan. Nice guy. We spent about an hour in The Smoking Lamp in Charleston talking tobacco. He had some great stories.

Frog on the Bayou is very nice stuff, probably my favorite of the lineup.

1792, on the other hand... :07: :o15: :em3000:

That tonquin bean extract makes me SOOOOoooo nauseous!

Blair that is awesome. While I don't smok a lot of perique blends, the one that I smoke is a great one. Solani 633. I don't know if it has the genuine article from St. James county. I suspect that like most things, the process of perique was perfected there but the growing of the weed itself would be much the same anywhere in the vicinity. It would just be a shame to lose the last farm in the county that started it all.

Regards, Todd

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto isn't kidding when he says that VA's can bite, and McClelland's can be right up there in the tongue-burn department. However, if you really want to experience a major league case of burnt tongue, try some MacBaren's Virginia #1. :cursing:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=V&TID=716

The above link includes, not surprisingly, my usual outlandish, over the top commentary, dated 12/9/04.:eek:

I feel bad that my first two sales came and went so fast. I was hoping that someone here could grab some, so next time I'll post it here exclusively. I think I'll consider the above posts and sell some older McClellands, perhaps some #22 or some of the Frog Mortons.

Something about the 1792 never sat well with me. I used to smoke a lot of very heavy latikia blends, Old Ironsides being one of my favs. It's been awhile since I've picked up my pipes though.

The only blend that ever turned me green was the first time I tried Gawith Brown Rope #4... talk about a punch to the senses :eek:

Top Bottom