What's new

SS heads'n'handles

OK all, couple of quick questions from a noob.

Does a pre-date code / un-notched SS shave the same as a later 40's style?

Is the head (blade angle, gap etc.) the same?

Same question now for Rockets & Parats vs. standard TTO: whatever the design (40's, Flair Tip, etc) do Rockets shave the same as normal SS of the same design type?

I know they are heavier and that will affect things but is the head (blade angle, gap etc.) the same even though the handle and mechanism is so different?

Thanks.

OK all, couple of quick questions from a noob.

Does a pre-date code / un-notched SS shave the same as a later 40's style?

Is the head (blade angle, gap etc.) the same?

Same question now for Rockets & Parats vs. standard TTO: whatever the design (40's, Flair Tip, etc) do Rockets shave the same as normal SS of the same design type?

I know they are heavier and that will affect things but is the head (blade angle, gap etc.) the same even though the handle and mechanism is so different?

Thanks.

I can't really answer all you questions, but I have a Flare-Tip Rocket and an un-notched (1947) Super Speed. The build quality of the Rocket is definitely better than the Super Speed. It's also little heavier than, but the blade gap is not as aggressive. While the Rocket was my go-to razor for a while, I've been getting really excellent shaves with the Super Speed (just got it a few weeks ago). Somehow it just fits in my hand better and the head design/blade gap is perfect.

I haven't tried the regular 40s-style Super Speed, but I've read that it is slightly more aggressive than the 47.

Check out this thread for great info on Rockets, and this thread and this thread for great info on Super Speeds.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron

I've been using a Merkur HD, Slim on 5 and Blue Tip SS and getting great shaves. When I tried two 40's (SS & Parat) they ate my face. I think it's learning curve.

Love those links. Thanks

I found the opposite to be true in regards to the Merkur HD and the Super Speed and Rocket that I have in that the HD is much more aggressive. For me, the blade angle and head design of the Gillettes is much more natural.

Aaron

Top Bottom