What's new

Parker Safety Razor's

used a parker 96r for first 9 months, no complaints but then i purchased a gillette superspeed off of the b/s/t. it was like night and day.
imho you should visit the b/s/t forum and pick up a superspeed it will be cheaper than a parker and will give you a better shave

I used a 90R for the first month and then acquired a vintage Gillette...

I associate myself with the previous statement by a.mcdougall1

I have a 22R and though I think it's ok for a newbie, but it's not aggressive at all. I don't use mine anymore as it won't correctly house a blade without a great deal of hassle. The build quality is pretty sorry, IMO. You'd do better getting a vintage razor here off the b/s/t.

I started with a 90R and I would recommend the Merkurs - either a classic or HD. No more expensive than the Parkers, but a world of difference in quality.

Last edited:
If you want a great shaver I can recommend the Merkur 1904 or the regular classic, I almost prefer this to the HD. If you want a razor with the silo doors, best bet is an old Super speed.

I concur with all this.

I got a Parker 71R, which looks nice, but the blade alignment was terrible (to the point of being dangerous). I had a spare 1904 Merkur head and I now use that on the 71R handle with pleasing results. The Merkur 23C Long Handle is also a fine razor and not much more than a Parker in price.

I started with a Parker 89R and quickly upgraded to a Merkur 34C (HD.) The difference in quality was like night and day.

Granted, it shaves, and I also found the results very comparable to the HD (the head looks like a copy of a Merkur.) Just if you are a bit nitpicky with details like I am, you will want a Merkur or a vintage Gillette if you want an inexpensive TTO.

My original comparison is here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=75554

Hope that helps the decision!

I have a 22R and it's reviewed in the review section along with a couple of other Parkers. I like the razor a lot. It takes some care to set the blade right and care in shaving due to the very large blade gap. The upside is a very close shave. I consider this razor to be quite aggressive and treat it with the same respect I give a slant - this is no Krona. For about the same money as a first razor, I would suggest a used Gillette adjustable (slim or black handle) on BST. If you already have a couple of razors, the Parker is a good bet IMO.

I got lucky. I decided I wanted a DE, found the parker going cheap, then found this forum while looking for parker reviews. What I read about them told me to avoid them, so my first razor was a '56 vintage gillette, the second one was a merkur and I've never looked back. I've had no adjustement or allignment problems with all the old gear I've bought, compared to the numerous issues I hear about the parker razors.

I started off with a Parker 89r. It's not a bad razor. I like the weight of it, and it was fine to get me started. (Not too aggressive) But then I got a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable that I much prefer over the Parker.

I would reccommend a vintage Gillette.

I understand that the TTO Parkers are garbage. I don't have one, though.

I do have the Parker three piece 91R. This is a well-made razor, but it's too aggressive for a newbie. The blade gap is so wide that you can get a very close shave, rinse off the razor and take it to the kitchen to slice meat.

So, like the others have said, get a Merk Classic or HD or a vintage Gillette.

I have a 22R and it's reviewed in the review section along with a couple of other Parkers. I like the razor a lot. It takes some care to set the blade right and care in shaving due to the very large blade gap. The upside is a very close shave. I consider this razor to be quite aggressive and treat it with the same respect I give a slant - this is no Krona. For about the same money as a first razor, I would suggest a used Gillette adjustable (slim or black handle) on BST. If you already have a couple of razors, the Parker is a good bet IMO.

I agree that the Parker 22R gives a very close shave. I have used this as my travel razor for over six years without any problems. I like the TTO for travelling as it is very fast and easy to change blades. The Merkur blade seems to work best for me with this razor and gives me a smooth BBS each and every time.

They are OC razors, but I feel I must recommend a 24C or 26C. I believe they are the newest offerings from Parker, and they are DYNAMITE. I have the black handled one (26C), and it shaves like a dream; efficient, smooth, and comfortable. I would recommend this OC for a beginner as well as a seasoned vet - the heft, fit, and finish are on the same level as Muhle razors, and it is a joy to use. Read THIS THREAD for some more detailed information, as well as the thoughts of others on this razor.

I can't say enough about the new Parker OC razors. They shave so smooth yet they are aggressive enough to give a close shave on any tough beard. I have the model 24c and I love the way it shaves. At the low price of $29.00 you owe it to yourself to try it.
Parker makes nice razor heads. Their solid bar Parker 94r was my favorite until the new OC razors came along.

$Parker 24c.jpg

Look here, nothing WRONG with Parkers, that's what I started on and I was fine with it for 4 years. BUT for just a few dollars more you can get an Edwin Jagger DE89. I think the DE89 is much smoother and better built, also heavier. After buying a Parker you may find yourself looking for a DE89 anyway.

Top Bottom