What's new

Dorco & Precision blades

Hi there ,

anyone has any experience with Dorco (South Korea) and/or Precision (Personna Israel) blades ? I will be interested how they compare with Derby or Astra blades which I've been using for a while now.
Thanks !

Cosmin.

While I haven't used Precision blades I have used Dorco. I prefer them over the Derby blades and rarely if ever have a nick or a weeper with them. If you want more info go to the review section and read the reviews on them.

I tried the Dorco 300 blades, found them to be smooth, but not a close shaver.(YMMV). The Israeli Personna Blades were very sharp but not smooth enough for me. Israeli Red Pack was perfect.

As always with blades YMMV! :biggrin:

Derby would be my pick out of all of the ones you listed. The red pack Israelis are decent, didn't find them to be as smooth as Derby. Dorco 300s work, but they just felt dull in comparison.

YMMV of course.

All the blades mentioned here appear to have at least a pretty good rep, although each has at least one or two detractors (as almost every blade seems to). The only two mentioned here that I have experience with are the Israeli Personnas (though, to be clear, I'm referring to the "no name" version sold 100 to the cardboard box), and the Dorco ST-300. Both, IMO, are great, but the Dorco pulls ahead in terms of smoothness, especially ATG and touching-up. Of course, skin/hair type, choice of razor, etc., can alter results; best to buy a single pack of each, or buy a sampler pack.

- Barrett

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone .. I will buy some of each and try them. I just wanted to know that they worth a try and are not really some 'bad' ones. Thanks again !

Cosmin.

Just remember there are two Dorcos, the ST-300 and the ST-301. The 300 comes in a blue and grey wrapper and carton, the 301 comes in a yellow and white wrapper in a white plastic container.

The topic of the difference or lack thereof between the two has been run into the ground more than once both here and over at SMF.

The 301 is considered by most to be sharper and smoother.

Try them both.

I tried the Dorco 300 blades, found them to be smooth, but not a close shaver.(YMMV). The Israeli Personna Blades were very sharp but not smooth enough for me. Israeli Red Pack was perfect.

As always with blades YMMV! :biggrin:

Isnt the Red Pack and Israeli Personna the same thing?

These arrived just an hour ago:

proxy.php

What four years' worth of blades (for me) looks like

proxy.php

10-blade box & individual blade wrapper

I happen to like the packaging: between the blades themselves and the packaging (all paper-based), we're talking 100% recyclable materials.

Cheap, eco-friendly, and a killer shave. Who knew?

- Barrett

Last edited:
Somewhere around here, I was going on about uncanny shave I got with the combination of a Dorco blade in a gold, late-40s Aristocrat. I also talked about the rather mediocre second shave I got with a "yellow label" Gillette blade in an early-70s Super Adjustable. The first shave with this combo, while not knocking me out, was pretty good.

Between one thing and another, I'd managed to miss shaving for two days straight. While waiting for my second (silver. British) Aristocrat to arrive, I decided to chuck the Gillette blade and put a Dorco in the Super for the first time. This would be especially interesting since I couldn't give myself the luxury of an especially long shave session. No mad-dash hurry here, but a ten-minutes-max job, which in my book is "stepping on it" just a bit.

The short story: at the "3" setting, the shave wasn't quite as close as the gold Aristocrat, but very good, at least as close as the Gillette blade the first time 'round, and with just a hint of blade burn, most likely due to the velocity at which I was making my multiple passes. With more time, and maybe a different setting, I know the results with this combo will improve, but this was a great trial-by-fire, and maintains my regard for the Dorco.

And, if the "Brit-ocrat" works out as well with the Dorcos, i may find myself putting in a second order for 200 blades, stretching my stash out to eight years. Laugh if you want now, but "remember the Swedes"...

- Barrett

Top Bottom