What's new

Setting a bevel on a new razor with a DMT - use an 8EE or 8E ?

Okay,
I buy mostly new razors and don't really plan on repairing antique ones.

I have one pre-sharpened razor, a DOVO sharpened by Lynn. But my other DOVO, my DAs, Wapis and my B&B Le Grelot are all factory sharp.

A four-sided paddle-strop and pastes are on their way from Tony and a DMT8EE will soon be on its way too.

Do I need a DMT-8E to set the bevels on the factory sharp razors ? Or will the 8EE be good for that ? I'm especially concerned about the difficult to hone Le Grelot ...

Thanks ....

It's much quicker to do it on the D8E but it can be done on the D8EE. If it's going to be an infrequent necessity, you can always buy 1K lapping film or sandpaper.

Not entirely sure why you need to be resetting bevels on new razors, but...

You can reset a bevel on the EE, but you'll be at it for hours. The 8E is a 4k grit, and being diamond it will cut pretty quickly, so this is probably your better option. Your best option is a 1k stone and if the bevel is really messed up, a 325 stone.

Not entirely sure why you need to be resetting bevels on new razors, but...

You can reset a bevel on the EE, but you'll be at it for hours. The 8E is a 4k grit, and being diamond it will cut pretty quickly, so this is probably your better option. Your best option is a 1k stone and if the bevel is really messed up, a 325 stone.

I probably don't mean "resetting a bevel". What I'm trying to do is take a razor from being 'factory sharp' to 'shave-ready'. But making sure it'll handle a 1/4 ground Le Grelot ...

I probably don't mean "resetting a bevel". What I'm trying to do is take a razor from being 'factory sharp' to 'shave-ready'. But making sure it'll handle a 1/4 ground Le Grelot ...

Ok, thats what I thought you meant. I recommend starting with a finishing stone and seeing if that touches up the edge enough for you. If not, then drop down to an 8k, and then do a few laps, see if it shaves. If not, then and only then drop down to a 4k and hone the razor.

The razor should only require a few laps on a finishing stone to be shave ready from the factory. DA and Wapi is not included as I have no experience with them.

I must have been lucky, my Le Grelot (1/4 as well) hones up quite easily. Takes a bit longer true, but I have not had a problem.

to express what leighton said in another way, only go down as far as you need to get the desired results. if the razor is close, don't go down to a 325. if the edge is crud, you have to almost go to a 325 to save time.

good luck..

vgod

I think it'll better in the long run (cheaper too) sending the Le Grelot to a honemeister.

I think Lynn will be receiving a package soon ....

Top Bottom