What's new

St Patty's in Houston

What are my fellow Houstonians doing this St. Patty's day? This is my first time to be here for that in Houston, and it will be my first time ever being 21 during St. Patty's day.

I've heard that the Mucky Duck Pub takes it very seriously, and that's right behind where I work. I wanna know what's going on so I can have some options. I will be taking the following day off :biggrin:

My real name is O'Neil, I'm at least a fourth Irish, that's good enough for me.

What are the reat of B&B members plans for this day?

Sorry man. St. Paddy's is amateur night. I stay in.

Mucky Duck will have an enormous crowd and a very large cover charge. They were named one of the top 10 places for green beer or something.

The Harp (a bit further down Richmond) will be busy but probably not so insane you can't have a good time. Maybe have a cover.

McElroy's(Sandman and Richmond across from Stag's Head) should be busy but not have a cover.

I would stay the hell out of Rice Village's pubs since that's a vortex of yuppie hell during holidays.

Shay McElroy's (downtown) might be fine... hard to say.

Molly's pub (also downtown) is a crime against humanity and good taste. It is a faux Irish pub that was purchased as a package, decor and all, from Ireland and is about as realistic of an Irish pub as a Bennigan's. Cover. Packed. Etc.

There are tons of other places (Keneally's for example) that you can try but if it bears any resemblance to an Irish pub it will be expensive and really crowded.

That's the news from Lake Wobegon, my hometown...

//Sorry if I sound more crochety than usual. As a former bouncer in a pub, St. Paddy's is my personal idea of hell :tongue_sm

I always feel sorry for the Americans having to wait till they're 21 to drink. You should be allowed to drink at 18 and to drive at 21 so you have three years experience. It'd probably cut down on traffic accidents quite a bit. :biggrin:

I'm not sure what I'll be doing. Maybe painting my computer green.

Green beer on St-Patrick's day is wrong, very very wrong!

It's gotta be black!

proxy.php

In Montreal, we do it right, and have been doing it right consistantly since 1824. (Plus I don't think I've ever seen green beer in the city at all)

I always feel sorry for the Americans having to wait till they're 21 to drink. You should be allowed to drink at 18 and to drive at 21 so you have three years experience. It'd probably cut down on traffic accidents quite a bit. :biggrin:

I'm not sure what I'll be doing. Maybe painting my computer green.

Oh man...no kidding. I remember taking my wife out to the bar for her first time when she was 19. I was 21, but by that time had spent considerable amounts of time in European bars in Europe, so the whole concept wasn't such a novelty.

Did I mention we drove several hours north to Thunder Bay, Ontario for the sole purpose of drinking in an Irish pub I had once been to?

Long story short, not only did I forget my wife's name, I called her by two other womens' names! To this day, the mere mention of this puts me back in the dog house and I maintain that the whole mess could have been avoided if the following conditions would have been met:

• Our waitress wasn't so damn good.
  • The American dollar was weaker.
  • My wife didn't insist that we open the bar...and close it too.
  • It was any other holiday besides St. Patty's Day.
  • My name wasn't "I couldn't be more Irish with a name like" Lynch.
  • Beer wasn't so delicious in mass quantities.
Ah...fun was had by all that night...or so I've been told. :lol:

The Duck did put on a good party on St. Paddy's Day but it's been a while since I've gone. If you're going to go there I can say, there there early and stay for the day. It can get very crowded, so be prepared.

I don't think I've seen any green beer there, too much Guinness flowing

Oh man...no kidding. I remember taking my wife out to the bar for her first time when she was 19. I was 21, but by that time had spent considerable amounts of time in European bars in Europe, so the whole concept wasn't such a novelty.

Did I mention we drove several hours north to Thunder Bay, Ontario for the sole purpose of drinking in an Irish pub I had once been to?

Long story short, not only did I forget my wife's name, I called her by two other womens' names! To this day, the mere mention of this puts me back in the dog house and I maintain that the whole mess could have been avoided if the following conditions would have been met:

• Our waitress wasn't so damn good.
  • The American dollar was weaker.
  • My wife didn't insist that we open the bar...and close it too.
  • It was any other holiday besides St. Patty's Day.
  • My name wasn't "I couldn't be more Irish with a name like" Lynch.
  • Beer wasn't so delicious in mass quantities.
Ah...fun was had by all that night...or so I've been told. :lol:

:biggrin:

If you are going to the Mucky Duck you may want to get their early. They put up a tent or two outside to house extra folks but the still can't accomodate everyone.

I made it a point not to go out on St. Paddys day. Wait, I take that back, when I was 21 I went to a bar if I wasn't working, sleeping, or in school after that I made it a point not to go out on certian nights like that.

Whatever you do, have fun and take a cab!

Green beer on St-Patrick's day is wrong, very very wrong!

It's gotta be black!

proxy.php

In Montreal, we do it right, and have been doing it right consistantly since 1824. (Plus I don't think I've ever seen green beer in the city at all)

The longest continually running St Patrick's day parade in north america is Montreal's!

Top Bottom