What's new

Proper rotation technique

I have a shave stand that holds 3 razors. So i pick out 3 that I want to try, load them up put them in the stand and rotate everyday. Here is the problem. I leave the blades in the razor and after several days the blades look terrible. I'm a newbie so I might be making a mistake.
1. Do you leave the blades in the razor...yes I clean afteer each use.
2. Should I only pick 1 razor at a time until the blade needs changed, then move on to the next in the rotation?
3. Other....?

Last edited:
I have a shave stand that holds 3 razors. So i pick out 3 that I want to try, load them up put them in the stand and rotate everyday. Here is the problem. I leave the blades in the razor and after several days the blades look terrible. I'm a newbie so I might be making a mistake.
1. Do you leave the blades in the razor...yes I clean afteer each use.
2. Should I only pick 1 razor at a time until the blade needs changed, then move on to the next in the rotation?
3. Other....?

I'm sure you'll get many replies and advice better than mine.

I used to use a razor for four shaves, toss the blade, clean it, and move to the next one. I would keep the blade in the razor until after the fourth shave. It worked fine for me. However, I now have too many razors for that pattern.

I'm thinking about either one shave per razor and transferring the blade (I started a thread asking about this) or doing only two shaves, tossing the blade, cleaning the razor, and moving on. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to keep track of how many shaves are on each blade.

Don't worry, you'll be in the same boat soon as your razor count increases.

Your stand only holds three razors? My first one holds only four, so I had to get a second one. Now I'm thinking about getting a test-tube holder so I can hold more razors. Damn! Nobody told me it was going to get this complicated.

I'm sure you will find what works best for you.

Good Luck,

I'm sure you'll get many replies and advice better than mine.

I used to use a razor for four shaves, toss the blade, clean it, and move to the next one. I would keep the blade in the razor until after the fourth shave. It worked fine for me. However, I now have too many razors for that pattern.

I'm thinking about either one shave per razor and transferring the blade (I started a thread asking about this) or doing only two shaves, tossing the blade, cleaning the razor, and moving on. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to keep track of how many shaves are on each blade.

Don't worry, you'll be in the same boat soon as your razor count increases.

Your stand only holds three razors? My first one holds only four, so I had to get a second one. Now I'm thinking about getting a test-tube holder so I can hold more razors. Damn! Nobody told me it was going to get this complicated.

I'm sure you will find what works best for you.

Good Luck,

That is the whole point; find out what works for you.
Usually I use a blade in the same razor till I toss it out and then I move on to the next razor and/or brand of blade.
The maximum number of loaded razors at the same for me time is two.

I use a different razor every shave. After I shave I remove the blade and store it in my medicine cabinet for the next shave. The razor gets a hot rinse, is dried and put back in the 'stable'. I've never had a problem using the same blade in different razors.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
In my case, I always clean the razor/blade after usage (hot rinse to get ride of any hair/soap clogged or sticking on the razor/blade). I usually move the blade from razor #1 to razor #2 on day 2, then, to the next razor until the blade is dull. Now, I know that sometimes, a razor + a blade perform better than a razor + another blade. If you are using the same blade in all your razors, then, it might be worthy to take the blade out and install it in you razor for tomorrow...

I think that you need to find your routine. If it's using the same razor for a couple shaves or if it's taking out the blade. It might be leaving the blade out.

You guys need some Ritalin. Everyone's got RADD (Razor Attention Deficit Disorder) along with their RAD!!:wink:

Though I occasionally will load up a 2nd razor with a new blade before I'm done with the current one, or occasionally transfer the blade to a different razor if I'm not happy with the direction the shave's going, usually I think about rotating razors when I change blades (which is every 4-5 days).

Beyond that, it gets too confusing trying to remember which blade is in which razor and for how long, etc.

I have a rotation of 12 razors. I used to keep a blade in each razor and change them when they got blunt. It was hard to keep track of how long a blade had been in use, so now I use one blade, take it out after use, clean the razor and pick one for the next shave. Some blades go for 5 or 6 shaves, other 3 or 4. Seems to work OK. The only downside to this set up is some blade razor combinations aren't great, so you may have to skew the rotation to mix and match.

Beyond that, it gets too confusing trying to remember which blade is in which razor and for how long, etc.

That's why I only use one blade at a time. That one blade may get used in 4 different razors before I toss it, but it's easy to keep up with how many shaves are on it by just using one at a time.

I had just been using one blade in a razor until it was time to change blades. Now, I think I'll change razors more often and just use the same blade until it wears out.

I change razors at the same time I change blades. I like to perfect my technique with one before moving to another. Everybody has their own routine though, and with time you will find what works best for you.

My current razor stand holds 4 and is loaded with 3 razors with blades in each. My 1908 Gem Safety Bar, an Ever Ready lather catcher and an open comb Micromatic. I do clean the blades after each use and dry them.

Top Bottom