What's new

Alum block vs stypic pencil

Are they the same thing, but one is just a block and the other is in pencil shape? Or is there another difference between the two?

I'm sure someone will give you a more detailed and scientific answer, but I can tell you from experience that they do not work the same. The alum is great to rub all over your face as an antiseptic and to close your pores after a shave. It will help to stop the bleeding on minor nicks, however, anything more than a very minor nick, it won't stop the bleeding. A styptic, however, will stop the bleeding on even some nasty cuts. Perhaps they use similar ingredients, but in different concentrations?

Styptic pencils are generally Aluminium Sulphate and Talc (or some other adsorbent substrate).

(Shaving) Alum blocks are Potassium Aluminium Sulphate and nothing else

As noted a styptic pencil will generally stop a bigger cut than an alum block.

I enjoy using an alum block every shave, and will always use one on a weeper with a little more direct pressure and time. I've had great success with this.

I dread using a styptic pencil. Stings way to much and leaves the white residue (but it does stop the bleeding...).

I enjoy using an alum block every shave, and will always use one on a weeper with a little more direct pressure and time. I've had great success with this.

I dread using a styptic pencil. Stings way to much and leaves the white residue (but it does stop the bleeding...).

I've found that white residue a lot easier to remove than a toilet paper square.

Also, alum makes a better deodorant than a styptic pencil.

Any suggestions on the cheapest place to get an alum block. Wehn I see them in the mall they are about $10 which seems him for a block of minerals

Top Bottom