What's new

Help lathering with Boar Brush

I've been doing the wet shaving for about a month and continually have problems building good lather using a Omega boar brush and Col Conk's Glycerine. I read the glycerine soap guide, which helped a lot. I can get a thick lather that is too dry/sticky or a slick lather that is thin. Also, the lather collects on the sides of the brush and bowl leaving the bristles comparitively bare. It doesn't seem to be loading on the brush. I have the same problem with creams.

How much pressure is used when swirling in bowl vs face? Could my bowl (standard rice bowl from Ikea) be too small?

Helpful tips would be appreciated.

I also have l'occitane soap in the mail. I'm hoping this helps.

I've been doing the wet shaving for about a month and continually have problems building good lather using a Omega boar brush and Col Conk's Glycerine. I read the glycerine soap guide, which helped a lot. I can get a thick lather that is too dry/sticky or a slick lather that is thin. Also, the lather collects on the sides of the brush and bowl leaving the bristles comparitively bare. It doesn't seem to be loading on the brush. I have the same problem with creams.

How much pressure is used when swirling in bowl vs face? Could my bowl (standard rice bowl from Ikea) be too small?

Helpful tips would be appreciated.

I also have l'occitane soap in the mail. I'm hoping this helps.

Here is what I did when I had Conk's amber.. I melted it into a coffee mug. Let it harden. Then when you shower, fill the mug with pipin' hot water, throw your brush in there too. After you're done, dump out the water, shake out the brush and go to town on that soap. Make sure you "mash" the brush down as you swirl it. The method works for me with Conks (and Van Der Hagnen, which is also glycerin and performs the same). Or, you can melt it into a bowl, then you'll have a bigger surface on which to lather your brush. Is your brush new? It might need some "break in" time. I know every boar brush I've owned has taken a week to start working well.

So my solution came in the mail yesterday. L'Occitane CADE shave soap. Amazing improvement over the Col Conks and Honeybee soaps that I had tried. This worked just like in the video for 1/10 the effort I had been using on the glycerine soaps.

I had an "ahhh, this is what face lathering is moment.":biggrin:

Now I want a Omega Professiona!! :w00t: :drool:

They do take a while to break-in. After 2 weeks it's really starting to soften up a lot.

With boar brushes I've found it easiest to lather right on the face. After all, that's what Boar is all about- scrubby lathering. Leave the warm bowl lather-ers for the super badger pansies :wink:

With boar brushes I've found it easiest to lather right on the face. After all, that's what Boar is all about- scrubby lathering. Leave the warm bowl lather-ers for the super badger pansies :wink:

Yup. Boar does not hold lather like badger does. Anyway, Conk soaps are not the best latherers out there. I mean they are OK, but there are a lot better. I think you found that out! :biggrin:

This may or may not be related to this thread, so I'm sorry if I'm threadjacking here.

I have a boar brush, and hard water, so I do most of my lathering on the soap. When I'm finishing up lathering on my face lather just flings off my brush in clumps. Is this becase its too hydrated? Just right? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

This may or may not be related to this thread, so I'm sorry if I'm threadjacking here.

I have a boar brush, and hard water, so I do most of my lathering on the soap. When I'm finishing up lathering on my face lather just flings off my brush in clumps. Is this becase its too hydrated? Just right? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Boar isn't noted for it's ability to hold water. I'd just lather up a bit less and not try to raise enough lather for 3 passes all in one go. I don't mind going back to the mug for a refill.

Top Bottom