What's new

New blade with each shave.

Is anybody else doing this? I use Feather blades in my Merkur HD and, for a while, was changing the blade after 3 shaves. Towards the end of that cycle my shaves were just so so. Then I thought why not just use a new blade with every shave? The blades are cheap enough for my wallet. Significantly less then cartridge razors and I get a great shave every time. I figured that people who use a straight razor will strop it each time before their shave. So why not start with new blade in my DE razor before my own shave? Since I started switching out blades each time, my shaves have been consistently superb. Am I wrong or wasteful doing it this way?

Is anybody else doing this? I use Feather blades in my Merkur HD and, for a while, was changing the blade after 3 shaves. Towards the end of that cycle my shaves were just so so. Then I thought why not just use a new blade with every shave? The blades are cheap enough for my wallet. Significantly less then cartridge razors and I get a great shave every time. I figured that people who use a straight razor will strop it each time before their shave. So why not start with new blade in my DE razor before my own shave? Since I started switching out blades each time, my shaves have been consistently superb. Am I wrong or wasteful doing it this way?

I was doing that for a while when I was using ASR blades (Exchange Select brand.) They were cheap and readily available.

Now, I'm using the Almighty Feather in my 39C, and Astra-SP in my 34C ... I rarely go more than two shaves with either of these.

After rinsing them under the faucet, I soak the head of the razor (with blade still tightened in place) in some Isopropyl Alcohol, swish it around, flick out the excess, and set it on its side to dry. The blades and razor come out much cleaner. No soap scum, and the edge of the blade looks practically brand new.

Even so, I can't see any reason to push it when it comes blade longevity ... even at the relatively expensive 25 cents each I pay for Feathers, and 20 cents for the Astra, that's cheap enough to go for a fresh blade every time.

I average about 3 shaves to a blade, but I agree they certainly are cheap enough that you could pitch them after every shave.

My 2nd shave is best as well. I use Gilette extra thins or 7 O'Clocks whicj will last for about 5 shaves. I always take out the blade and rinse it seperately because otherwise soapgunk is hard to remove.

I'm so new to this type of shaving that I can't talk from experience, but my fiance said he changes his blades after the 4th shave.

I think it's perhaps a personal preference, on what is a good shave and not, and just how long is a blade good for. Perhaps as Dpm referenced, it could be in all in how the blades/razor is cleaned.

Either way, blades are cheap enough that you can use a new one each time.

You guys need to take D.Irving79's advice and begin to hand strop your blades. If stropping a straight is like using a new blade then why not try it on your DE blades.

I took it and now get 14 shaves from a Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge. I make 4 passes which include on buffing/touch up pass plus two pass on my head for a total of 6 passes per shave. The blade lasts for 14 shaves. I do hand strop the blade after each and every shave. This technique makes that blade $ go even further.

You guys need to take D.Irving79's advice and begin to hand strop your blades. If stropping a straight is like using a new blade then why not try it on your DE blades.

I took it and now get 14 shaves from a Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge. I make 4 passes which include on buffing/touch up pass plus two pass on my head for a total of 6 passes per shave. The blade lasts for 14 shaves. I do hand strop the blade after each and every shave. This technique makes that blade $ go even further.

Can you elaborate? I'm so new to this DE shaving, that I haven't even purchased a razor yet, but my main interest is saving money, and to make a DE blade last that long is amazing... Is there a link to a thread for this, or has it not been posted yet?

I was doing that for a while when I was using ASR blades (Exchange Select brand.) They were cheap and readily available.

Now, I'm using the Almighty Feather in my 39C, and Astra-SP in my 34C ... I rarely go more than two shaves with either of these.

After rinsing them under the faucet, I soak the head of the razor (with blade still tightened in place) in some Isopropyl Alcohol, swish it around, flick out the excess, and set it on its side to dry. The blades and razor come out much cleaner. No soap scum, and the edge of the blade looks practically brand new.

Even so, I can't see any reason to push it when it comes blade longevity ... even at the relatively expensive 25 cents each I pay for Feathers, and 20 cents for the Astra, that's cheap enough to go for a fresh blade every time.

Where do you get feathers for that cheap?

With cartridges the shave was so bad the next morning, I would only shave MWF and usually grabbed a new cartridge on each time. Those lousy lube strips would barely make it through one shave.

Yup... 1 blade - 1 shave. I'm not a germaphobe but a new clean and sharp blade is what I want. I started wet shaving to save for my wedding and at $0.32 per feather compared to cartridges at $3.10 per, its working out great.

Even my VERY frugal fiancee doesn't mind. ;)

Is cleaning blades with alcohol common practice? I have been questioning elsewhere in this forum whether my DE results are worth the extra effort, but perhaps it is my razor cleaning that is inadequate. I was under the impression that you just rinse it off thoroughly and allow it to dry (my razor is on a stand). I change blades after 3 or 4 shaves, but I certainly notice that the first shave with a new blade is the best.

Thanks,

Neil

Myself the first shave with my blades is not always the best. second and third usually are and they seem to get a sweet spot if you well before going dull.

Feathers are a special case. The way they're honed, the edge is pretty much toast by the third shave. Two or three and done is the average life of these blades.

Is cleaning blades with alcohol common practice? I have been questioning elsewhere in this forum whether my DE results are worth the extra effort, but perhaps it is my razor cleaning that is inadequate. I was under the impression that you just rinse it off thoroughly and allow it to dry (my razor is on a stand). I change blades after 3 or 4 shaves, but I certainly notice that the first shave with a new blade is the best.

I've only been doing it a few weeks now, but I do notice a difference. The razor especially comes out much cleaner.

I'm not certain if the Isopropyl Alcohol is safe for a Gold Razor ... more specifically, is it safe for the lacquer coating that protects the gold plate. Maybe someone can clarify this, and suggest an alternative if it may cause problems?

There should be no downside to using alcohol to clean other finishes, such as chrome or nickel.

Top Bottom