What's new

How many shaves do you get from a Derby Extra blade?

How many shaves do you get from a Derby Extra blade?

• I don't use them

• More than 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Derby's were my regular blade before I went straight, so I cast a vote for 3.

I found that after 3 or 4 shaves, 4 or 5 passes each time, the blade was still usable but I couldn't get close in the difficult areas. So I tossed the blade after the third shave.

I selected three, but only because I am new to DE shaving and with all the extra passes I have to do to get proper coverage I figured it would be a good idea to retire the blade after three days of work. General consensus appears to be four is the magic number, though.

Usually 3, sometimes 4 if I forget the count. They're so cheap no need to try to stretch then out. First shave usually a bit harsh, second shave the best, third is good, and you know you forgot to change the blade on the fourth.

My answer is 2 shaves, but I had a browser issue and voted 9. I don't hate derbys, but the first shave is the only one that I really enjoy. Possibly it's my prep, but I just feel like derbys need a tug to cut any hair after the second shave. For about the same price, Astra SPs. So gentle, but still sharp. :001_wub: Love 'em!

I get three very good shaves from a Derby in my blue tip Superspeed which, considering the price per blade, is a pretty great value. Derbys are my everyday blade, for when I have less time to shave and am not always mindful of my technique.

None. Derbys tug, pull and nick more than any other legit blade I have used. Zorriks are also horrible. I haven't tried Merkurs but their reputation keeps me from paying top dollar for them. Try some Astra or Personna blades instead, you will thank me for the advice.

I voted 2 the first time this week and it started pulling.

Plus I got 2 weepers on my chin and I haven't had that happen with any other blade.

Last edited:
I've tried them and this is what I noted...
First shave excellent, 2nd was mediocre, 3rd the same. There won't be a 4th! Smooth but dull.

My least favorite blade by a landslide.. One, if that. Truly, I simply will not use them anymore. Hate, hate, hate them.

7, but I could go more. At 7 I feel I have got value for money out of the blade.

I am soon going to over to Wilkinson Sword Classics as I can get them from a local seller at £1.60 for 10. The only reason I am ditching the Derbys is that I have to rely on mail order to get them and I prefer to buy locally.

I voted 1. I've only tried them twice but both times I had to abandon the Derby during the 2nd shave.
It puts them ahead of the Wilkinson which I coudn't complete 1 shave with!

Top Bottom