• Mamabears

• QED

• Col. Conk

• Pirate's Cove

• Ogallala

• Em's Place

• Other-please disclose in response

Results are only viewable after voting.
I want to concentrate on performance of glycerine soap such as latherability, slickness, and overall performance. Scent is subjective in my opinion.

I have two honeybee soaps that I like but they do burn slightly and are too stongly scented. I can create a very good lather probably a 6 on a scale of 1-10 where proraso I rate as a 8 and tabac as a 9 on lather.

TGQ Desert Ironwood. Great slickness. Decent cushion and eye popping, nose dropping, face smacking, bathroom filling, drop dead sexy scent!

Mama Bear gets my vote, and not just because the extraordinary scents she offers.

I've seen lather come off a Mama Bear-kissed brush that would put some of the popular English and French soaps to shame.

I've used most of what's on the poll. Mama Bear gets my vote. Although for a lime soap QED has the best scent. Mama Bear doesn't dry me out though - QED does. The rest of them are good performers but not the value for money that Mama gives.

I haven't tried all of the brands on the post, but for now it's Mommabear's all the way. 20% added glycerin. Available in EO only. Easy to use.

I really like mama bear and honeybee both, but mama bear edges the HBS out in every category, IMO. In performance, scent, etc. Not to say the HBS aren't good, in fact, I think they are a better value, if cost is important to you, but if cost is no object, I'd stick with mama bear.

Van Der Hagen isn't on the list :(

I can't give a completely fair shake saying it's my favorite as I'm new, it's the only shaving soap I've ever used, and I'm therefore unable to compare it to anything else. That said, I got it for a buck and a quarter a puck when I ordered it from Amazon, and with a price tag like that it deserves serious consideration.

Scent is okay, and it goes away quickly if you don't like it. Lather is also pretty decent, but I had to try several times before I figured out how to get it to my liking. Even then it's still not as thick and creamy as some lathers I've seen, but it's more than enough IMO.

I've tried VDH, Col. Conk and Mamma Bear's. Not tried the others but I'm open to them. But for now, Mamma Bear gets my vote.

Right now the stats are in favour for Mama Bear's and there is a reason for that, B&B members know their soaps. :thumbup1:

If your new to the game go for one of her great variety of scents at a great price & from there you will set a gold standard for any future soaps you may end up purchasing

Mama Bear's Orange Orange :drool:

Description from her web site & an accurate one at that :w00t:

Pure essential oil of Valencia Orange. Take a fresh orange and pierce the skin with your fingernail.... and smell it. This is the scent of this shaving soap. Fresh and invigorating, it is an excellent morning wake up shave scent!

None of my soaps perform well enough to get to Carnegie Hall. :lol:

Oh wait, not that kind of performance. :biggrin:

Mama Bear's always gives me a great lather and shave.

Is there a rational answer as to why VDH isn't on the poll? Col. Conk doesn't count. Also missing is St. Charles, another outstanding underdog. I love the Ogallala's that I've tried (the smell is great) but the lather isn't that great. Therefore, the humble 1.50 a puck VDH Glycerine is my go to. The only reason I can think of as to why its been slighted is because of its price.

I would also agree that, faithful Mama Bear customer that I am, St. Charles Shave provided me with an excellent shave, fantastic lather and wonderful scent, and certainly deserves a place in this poll.
Mama Bear still would have my vote, certainly, but the decision would have been more difficult.

Top Bottom