What's new

Cognac

I am an avid bourbon and Scotch drinker with a reasonably sizeable collection of both. But I am looking into branching in Cognac. Everyone here seems to have a good deal of sophistication and I looking for recommendations. Any thoughts?

Thanks all

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm not a big cognac guy, but my friends who are cringe when I tell them that I use it to deglaze pans.:eek:

I'm sure someone will pipe in with a great recommendation.

Only ones I've owned were Courvoisieur VSOP and Martell. I've tried Hennessy XO and it was nice too. Definitely get a brandy snifter to enjoy these more, as you can swirl it around in the glass and get a wonderful aroma going.
Bear in mind that Cognac is simply brandy produced in a certain area of France....and as I understand the grapes do not make good wine, but excellent brandy, and hence the French government gave Cognac, France the same sortof deal Champagne got for their "bubbly"
Also try: Armagnac, Salignac(sp) and a few others, same sortof thing-from different makers in those areas of France.
OK, I'll step aside for the REAL Cognac snobs...:biggrin1:
John P.

TimmyBoston said:
I am an avid bourbon and Scotch drinker with a reasonably sizeable collection of both. But I am looking into branching in Cognac. Everyone here seems to have a good deal of sophistication and I looking for recommendations. Any thoughts?

Thanks all

How much would you like to spend (max)? I've got a TON of cognac's and quite a few recommendations - but with Cognac, you can easily jump into the "thousands of dollars" per bottle category..... some even in the thousands of $ per ounce!

My two favorites (that I have) are, #1, a Remy Martin XO and #2, a Courvossier VSOP. Both were purchased in Martinique over 16 years ago.

Tim

I'm not a snob, but find most medium priced brandies enjoyable. A French colleague introduced me to armagnac which seem to me to be much more richly flavored than brandies. Later after he returned to France, he sent me several bottles of Marcel TrePout '85 Armagnac. It's modestly priced in France but about $100/bottle here in the states. I still am rationing that stuff, but really like it. Don't know that I'd spend that kind of money for it, but it *is* really good.

-- John Gehman

edit: speling...

joel said:
How much would you like to spend (max)? I've got a TON of cognac's and quite a few recommendations - but with Cognac, you can easily jump into the "thousands of dollars" per bottle category..... some even in the thousands of $ per ounce!

I've paid up to a few hundred dollars for bourbon and Scotch, I don't really want to go any higher than that. Right now, I'm looking for Cognac's and Armangnac's around $100, but I will gladly buy a lower priced bottle as well. Very happily.

jduffy said:
Agreed. Skip the cognac and go straight to the Armagnac. Your palate will thank you. :smile:

Honestly I wanted to try to get into both, I just forgot to put Armagnac in my original post.

I celebrated the World Series, last night, with a nip of 150th Anniversary Grand Marnier. They state that it contains cognacs as old as 150 years (probably just a few drops per bottle). Yum, yum, yum!

Tim

TimmyBoston said:
Honestly I wanted to try to get into both, I just forgot to put Armagnac in my original post.

Oh I've drunk my share of cognac but a girlfriend of mine who is a chef turned me on to armagnac and now cognac doesn't get it done like that. Nothing against cognac, I'm just all for armagnac! :biggrin:

Enjoy the sampling.

TimmyBoston said:
I've paid up to a few hundred dollars for bourbon and Scotch, I don't really want to go any higher than that. Right now, I'm looking for Cognac's and Armangnac's around $100, but I will gladly buy a lower priced bottle as well. Very happily.

Timmy --Google 'Marcel Trepout' and follow the links. The links will not only have that armagnac, but other medium to high end armagnac's as well. I'm with jduffy, I believe you'll really enjoy it.

-- John Gehman

I'd like to bump this up, I am once again looking at brandy. Lately in the wee small hours, I've been sitting and reading. I really enjoy tea, but it wakes me up even more, which isn't good. So I've been reexamining Cognac, Armagnac, and ports, something not as high in alcohol and power as whisky. Something softer and good right before bed.

Now, I've to figure out what to buy. :w00t:

Tim,

At a premium price point, I can recommend:

Delamain Pale & Dry
Hine Antique
Remy Martin XO

And in a heavier style (due to the amount of Borderies in the blend)

Martell Cordon Bleu

Next level down:

Claude Chatelier XO
Domaine de Grollette Borderies Vielle Reserve
Frapin VSOP
Menard Reserve Extra
Menuet VSOP
Remy Martin VSOP (ubiquitous but much improved over the years)

I'm a huge fan of Pierre Ferrand cognac. They have a wonderful range to fit any budget and everything in the range is fantastic.

Top Bottom