What's new

Cognac

I love Otard Cognac, as well as plain old Hennesy.

So you like Port? I adore it! I have a little collection of some nice ports. Taylor Fladgate 10, 20, and 30 year old. Most of the Sandman stuff is nice for regular serving. Dow's is also nice, as is Croft.

To me, there's nothing like a good glass (or two) of Port with maybe some Stilton cheese after a good hearty meal in the wintertime.

Francois Peyrot. It's a small batch Cognac, but what's interesting is that they make the liquor from single barrels. Thier XO doesn't cost more than $100 either. If you can find it, give it a try. Google them for listings, as the only place I know that carries them is in downtown DC

I am also a great fan of Pierre Ferrand. A lovely range of rich, fruity cognacs, heavy on the vanilla/caramel sort of flavors. I think they're all terrific values. Their Cigare is a particular favorite (though I don't smoke.) It can be had for around $80 a bottle, on sale.

If you prefer something more dry/floral, you won't go wrong with Delamain.

Francois Peyrot. It's a small batch Cognac, but what's interesting is that they make the liquor from single barrels. Thier XO doesn't cost more than $100 either. If you can find it, give it a try. Google them for listings, as the only place I know that carries them is in downtown DC

Would that be near 18th and L?

Well, there goes another $40. I need to stop reading this forum.

I picket up a bottle of their basic brandy after work. I don't know enough about cognac to really compare at all. But I will say, it is MIGHTY fine. Probably the best $40 booze I've had. Can't wait to try the XO....

-Mo

I picket up a bottle of their basic brandy after work. I don't know enough about cognac to really compare at all. But I will say, it is MIGHTY fine. Probably the best $40 booze I've had. Can't wait to try the XO....

-Mo

What was the flavor profile like Mo? Fruity and raisiny, sweeter? Or more nutty and dry?

Which specific bottling did you get?

-Mo

It IS great stuff -much better than a comparably priced Cognac, IMO...

-Mo

It's a 20 minute drive for me to the closet place that sells it, so I'll probably pick up a bottle this weekend. Or maybe just drive down to your place! I'll bring some tequila.

It's a 20 minute drive for me to the closet place that sells it, so I'll probably pick up a bottle this weekend. Or maybe just drive down to your place! I'll bring some tequila.

Always and option....

But don't forget that tequila.

And Tim, um, was kinda tired last night. I just know it was good. Will try to create a full tasting report later. Was very well balanced. I would say more tending nutty and dry, but with definite hints of dried fruit. Nice finish, although not super long.

-Mo

I have been a cognac fan for many years...I still have a bottle of RMS - the Remy Martin-US concern that made "brandy" in Napa valley. I used to visit it on my way into Napa valley. It had a wonderful tour (especially if you were the first tour of the day to be let into the aging cellar where you where overwhelmed by the aroma of cognac/brandy).

Some may laugh...but give the following a try.

E & J (yes, its Ernest and Julio Gallo) XO Brandy it runs about $20 - nice bottle, very light in flavor, not much complexity.

Paul Masson VSOP Brandy (yep, the guys that make the jug wine) will set you back around $20 too. Medium body, lots more complexity than E&J. I swear you blind taste it again vs cognacs it will compare favorably at half the cost.

Right now I have Remy XO, Courvoiseur Napolean and Jepson Brandy.

I understand Jepson has since closed. When I last visited a few years ago a new owner had just taken over. I am not sure if they plan on doing brandy any more.

ShaveIce,

If you like american brandy, try the Germain-Robin talked about above.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been meaning to pull the trigger on it.

I have been trying to arrange a visit to Germain-Robin...but I never seem to be able to plan ahead enough.

I'll be picking up a bottle next month.....

Would that be near 18th and L?

So you know the place? Bell Liquors, I think it's called. You know, I don't work downtown, but I swear, I'm there all the time. My three favorite stores are there, TGL, JR Cigars, and Bell Liqours, all within two blocks of each other:tongue_sm

I agree with this-- I have had their version of VS and XO... both are amazing.

$100 won't quite get you this, unless you see it on sale, but Meukew (www.meukowcognac.com/) makes an XO that is amazing. Stays on the palate for hours. Wonderful overtones. I picked up my bottle for ~$120 on a Jan sale here in TX. However, their other ages (VS, VSOP), are not as good, you will be better served by other things.

Armangac, I have found to be a little rougher, more fire, but not quite as complex at each aging point

If you are looking for another value... I have a bottle of 7 star metaxa that I quite enjoy. It is a Greek brandy that, in all but the highest costing quality, is blended and aged with a wine. Very thick mouth feel, I think a lot of bang for the buck...

...More than my 2 cents...

I'm a huge fan of Pierre Ferrand cognac. They have a wonderful range to fit any budget and everything in the range is fantastic.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I though of starting a new thread but then, this one is kinda related to what I want (good Cognac), why not bump it. I know, it's an old thread but the information is still good!

I tried Hennessy, Martell and Courvoisier. I find Courvoisier better than Hennessy and Martell. I tried all 3 in those 3 houses (VS-VSOP-XO). XO being the best of course. Courvoisier XO is legendary. The proper glass is really worth it.

I tried Armagnac also, like anything, I got good bottles and bad ones... Is it better than Cognac? Matter of preferences, I prefer Cognac. However, yes, do not overlook Armagnacs!

If we stick to Cognacs, what else is worth trying other than Hennessy, Martell and Courvoisier?

If we stick to Cognacs, what else is worth trying other than Hennessy, Martell and Courvoisier?

Delamain Pale & Dry

Maison Surrenne XO

Hine VSOP - much better than other VSOPs I've tried; one of the best deals in cognac, IMHO

Top Bottom