What's new

Newb wants new DE safety razor.... but which one?

I just shaved my full beard off, and now I remember why I stopped shaving, as these ingrown hair bumps start popping up. I really want to get into DE shaving, and I've done enough research to make me confused. I hope to get my thoughts cleared up with a little experienced advise.

I'd say my skin is fairly sensitive, and I want a new DE razor. I've seen some on Ebay, and other sites selling old Gillettes and what not, but I'd much rather have my own new quality razor. I was thinking about a Merkur classic 33c was a good candidate, since it's not overly aggressive, but then I saw the progressive, but then I saw that with every blade change, you're likely to have to change the setting.

I'm looking for a quality, 20-40 dollar razor, new, and isn't too aggressive, but will still give me a super close shave. What do you all suggest?

Oh... BTW.. I did use the search tool quite a bit, but couldn't find any info to help me make up my mind.

The Merkur HD (#34c I believe) is a very nice razor for the newb and experienced shaver alike. Also falls within your price range (assuming american dollars). Check out the review section- Lots of members here have great things to say about it. Seems to be considered a great "starter" razor that many people just never replace.

The Merkur HD (#34c I believe) is a very nice razor for the newb and experienced shaver alike. Also falls within your price range (assuming american dollars). Check out the review section- Lots of members here have great things to say about it. Seems to be considered a great "starter" razor that many people just never replace.

Thanks for the quick reply... From what I've researched.. this razor is the same as the classic, but it's quite a bit heavier with a different handle... is this right?

If that's the case, is it worth the extra money to go with a heavier razor, as opposed to the cheaper, but same design razor?

Yes, you assumed correctly, it would be in American dollars.

Thanks for the quick reply... From what I've researched.. this razor is the same as the classic, but it's quite a bit heavier with a different handle... is this right?

If that's the case, is it worth the extra money to go with a heavier razor, as opposed to the cheaper, but same design razor?

Yes, you assumed correctly, it would be in American dollars.

I think the smaller one will be better for you.

This newbie picked up six DE's off the B/S/T at fantastically low prices thanks to the generous folks here. Since I've only been at this a few weeks I've limited myself to using a '60's SS and a HD. I used the SS exclusively for the first two weeks to minimize the variables while building technique. Then I tried the HD. I love how both of them shave. I feel the HD shaves closer but I have to be more careful with it.

I even got decent shaves from some Wall Mart Personnas but really like how the the Red Pack Personnas perform for me.

If you want to go classic I recommend you consider the 23C. Think classic with a longer handle. You won't need the longer handle but it's kinda nice looking IMO.

I've got a 23C :D

I don't think you can go wrong with either razor, but you might want to check this thread before you make your decision.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1778

It's easy to get caught up with how "aggressive" a razor is, and should a newb use a razor that's more mild or more aggressive while they get their technique down. Remember, this is just shaving here. You aren't diffusing bombs or juggling swords. The worst that's going to happen is you notice a little nick- you probably won't even feel it when it happens. I'd get a nicely balanced razor somewhere in the intermediate pack and that way after you're over your learning curve you're not left wishing for something more aggressive. I like the HD, but maybe you should research an adjustable, like the Merkur progress.

Of course, this practical advice is likely a moot point as you'll be infected with a razor acquisition disorder like the rest of us and wind up with 3-4 razors within a year or so. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the advise guys, but keep in mind, I mentioned that I want a new DE razor, not an old school vintage razor....

Umm, what's the difference? The Merkur is functionally the same as a Gillette. It holds a blade. It's multi-piece. Basically, A Merkur is a 1930s design the same as the Gillette. You are just paying more for it.

If you don't want old school my friend, you are in the wrong place.

Umm, what's the difference? The Merkur is functionally the same as a Gillette. It holds a blade. It's multi-piece. Basically, A Merkur is a 1930s design the same as the Gillette. You are just paying more for it.

If you don't want old school my friend, you are in the wrong place.

Because, my friend, I want one that I can say is truly mine, and if I decide to pass it down to my son, I'm not passing down someone else's original razor, I'm passing down mine, that was originally mine.

I didn't know B&B was an antique forum... I thought it was all about wet shaving whatever you use. So, that being said, if you think I'm in the wrong place, and the other posters feel the same way, then I probably am. Because you didn't read the first post thoroughly, I'll apologize for wasting your time. And to those who took the time to read it, and posted their replies based on it, I thank you for you experienced advise.

What about the Edwin Jagger DE89L? The only problem is finding one -I could only find one in North America at fendrihan. It would seem to be a very good quality new razor at a very reasonable price. Seems to get good reviews in the reviews section.

Because, my friend, I want one that I can say is truly mine, and if I decide to pass it down to my son, I'm not passing down someone else's original razor, I'm passing down mine, that was originally mine.

I didn't know B&B was an antique forum... I thought it was all about wet shaving whatever you use. So, that being said, if you think I'm in the wrong place, and the other posters feel the same way, then I probably am. Because you didn't read the first post thoroughly, I'll apologize for wasting your time. And to those who took the time to read it, and posted their replies based on it, I thank you for you experienced advise.

MY point is you CAN find 'em! I have a NOS ball end tech! In the box! They are everywhere, man! They are a plague unto the land! And as I said they are little different from Merkur - not much has changed in the last 70-80 years or so.

I didn't mean to sound as I did, and I apologize. Seriously, see if you can find one. It shouldn't take more than a day on eBay, or a little patience here at B&B. I find the Techs to be better shavers and milder than any Merkur.
And you will have a piece of history. Maybe not a real important piece of it, but a piece nonetheless.

Top Bottom