What's new

Derby Extra blade numbers

I just noticed that Derby Extra blade edges are numbered 1 and 2 on one side, 3 and 4 on the other. Other than the obvious, does anyone know why? Would flipping the blade over mid-week result in better shaves and longer lasting blade?

Some Gillettes are marked the same way. I believe once a DE blade becomes dull, flipping it over will not make a difference so I'm not sure why they are marked like this. What is this "obvious" of which you speak?

Hi David, Welcome to B&B!
Your question is a good one that many of us have asked over the years. And as such, you are liable to get many colorful responses because of the legendary myths that are attributed to these numbers. They have been researched by many over the years and the truth is that the numbers are only a reference for their manufacturing process. They bear no significance to how they should be used. :001_smile

Nope, flipping the blade does nothing useful. I'm not sure what the numbers are doing there- I have missed the blinding flash of the obvious!

I would guess the numbers are for quality control, it would help them pin point a problem that gets found by an inspector or inspection camera.

Its for scientific labs where only one edge of the razor is showing from the tool/blade holder. When they are disecting frogs and the blade becomes dull they rotate the blade. The numbers let them know when they're at the end of the blade.

I just made that up. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom