What's new

Set me Str8 -- wanna be str8 shaver

I am researching what I should do to start in on straight razor shaving.

Where I am now: Decent DE/SE shaver with all the brushes, bowls, soaps, etc. I need.

What I think I need, as far as equipment goes:

• Razor
  • Strop
  • Probably some odds and ends for maintaining the strop (oils, other stuff?)

My theory is that any honing I need will be sent out to an expert until I get to the point where I am comfortable with a str8.

I tend to trust Jim at Vintage blades and he offers a couple of starter sets. Since those include things I don't need (brush, stand, mug, soap) I wouldn't buy the set but only buy the razor and strop included in the set. I would go for one or two steps up from the least expensive, as I like to avoid the extremes (most/least expensive).

That would be this Dovo:
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=855&cat=132&page=1
proxy.php

and this strop:
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=860&cat=102&page=1
proxy.php

Classic Shaving also sells Dovos but their least expensive looks to be a step up from the above:
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190304.htm
proxy.php

Note that Classic Shaving's price includes honing and I would need to pay $16 more at Vintage Blades bringing the prices a bit closer.

Vintage: $80 + $16 = $96
Classic: $115

A difference of $19.

So, am I on the right track? Should I go with the more expensive razor at Classic Shaving? Am I missing something?

P.S. How I got to this point: I was happy and doing pretty well with DE shaving then was convinced to try a GEM SE razor. After my first disastrous experience things clicked and the GEM worked very well. The shaving experience was quite different from that of DE shaving -- a marked improvement. My half-baked theory is that the rigidity of the SE blade compared to the DE blade was a big part of that. Kinda pointed me at straights. I also remember earlier conversations (and pictures) here about how different the edge of a str8 was compared to that of a DE (and I presume SE), a difference that looked like a better edge. So, maybe straight razors are for me!

Last edited:
looks like you got half of the experience in your pocket. the lather. now onto the shave. those dovos are nice, however if i was starting out, i would get a cheaper tool to do the same job. note that when i say cheaper, i don't mean lesser quality. look at some shave ready straights on the BST. some will be much cheaper and ready to shave when they get to you. there is a chance that the dovo will not be shave ready more than likely. the strop pointed out is a solid purchase however. cannot go wrong with your selection there. you will be happy with the dovo more than likely, just open your eyes to what else is there.

either way if you don't like or cannot get into straights, you will easily be able to sell it back on the BST.

good luck

vgod

I PMed Joel this same question when I started. Here is his response:

"Get a pre-sharpened razor from a RELIABLE source (many vendors claim their razors are pre-sharpened, and they aren't) - and make sure the razor is LESS than $120. You might like a fancier razor, but don't let your emotions take advantage of you - there is a VERY good chance you'll damage your first razor, and there's no sense in damaging a more expensive one. Pick up a 4 sided pasted paddle strop form Tony Miller to tune up your razor, and get it dialed into where it feels best, and sharpen your razor when needed. Lastly, pick up a beginners strop from Tony Miller in red latigo, and you have a setup that COULD provide you with perfect shaves for at least 20 years (at which point you'd need to freshen up the paste - then you'd be on your way to another 20 smooth years). The whole setup shouldn't run you more than $300 (likely a lot less) for first rate gear, and if you ever have the desire to buy a fancier razor, prettier strop (the more expensive ones don't work any better), or decide to buy some hones to hone up ebay razors, then by all means you'll be able to do so - no problem. You could easily sell the starter razor and strop to another newbie, but I think you'll find, most of the "beginner razors" like the Dovo Tortoise, are just about the best shaving razors - and all of the equipment aforementioned is simply the finest items needed to get the most comfortable shave, so I think you'll find no desire to get any additional items.

I have tens of thousands of dollars in razors, I have (or have had) multiple razors from EVERY custom razor maker out there, I have dozens of Dovo's, TI's, vintage razors, 15 strops, over 50 hones - the list goes on and on... but what I fall back on for daily use are pretty ho-hum looking "starter" razors, which shave beautifully and are the most comfortable to use, a Tony Miller strop in red latigo, and razors touched up on a pasted paddle strop. Certainly isn't the sexiest, or most expensive combo - but it'll work the best - and after all.... 99.9% of the fellas on here are simply looking for the "best" - not the fanciest, or most impressive. Frankly though - most fellas don't listen to me, end up buying a ton of hones, razors, etc - don't get things to work right for them, or bang up their razors/strops a bit, and I end up getting some good deals on equipment"

To which I said, "Yes Sir." I did what he said, and have had a pretty seamless intro into str8s.

Yup. That sounds like Joel, all right.

I'll add that Tony is no longer offering his apprentice strop. You probably already knew that, which is why you went for the more expensive model.

+1 on less expensive razor. That dovo used to be under $50 btw. BST offers the best bang for your buck. Shave ready from a knowledgeable person who will be more than happy to guide you through the straight razor world.

More questions...

When I look at what's available via SRP or BST here I see so many choices I am overwhelmed. Hollow ground? Full hollow? Quarter ground? Wedge? Carbon vs. stainless steel?

Should I get one of those DVDs that explain things?
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=555&cat=127&page=1
proxy.php

Maybe I should do this first and ask questions later.

You know, I think that the dvd would probably be good. However, I never felt the need for looking at it after reading through the extensive step by step guide that Joel posted on B&B. In fact, his thorough guide is all that I have used. I'm far from an expert, but I think you'll find if you go through that it will answer a lot of questions for you.

You know, I think that the dvd would probably be good. However, I never felt the need for looking at it after reading through the extensive step by step guide that Joel posted on B&B. In fact, his thorough guide is all that I have used. I'm far from an expert, but I think you'll find if you go through that it will answer a lot of questions for you.

The main thing I hoped to get out of it was to actually see someone use a strop.

More questions...

When I look at what's available via SRP or BST here I see so many choices I am overwhelmed. Hollow ground? Full hollow? Quarter ground? Wedge? Carbon vs. stainless steel?

Should I get one of those DVDs that explain things?
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=555&cat=127&page=1
proxy.php

Maybe I should do this first and ask questions later.

I'd suggest a 1/4 grind. That's because the heft is easier for beginners. But a hollow ground will still get the job done if you use it right. Don't worry about the steel.

The DVD is unnecessary.

The main thing I hoped to get out of it was to actually see someone use a strop.

I try to bump Alex's thread at least once a year. Thanks for reminding me.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16837

I would suggest a 1/4 hollow or 1/2 hollow grind. I just like the feel of the heft a lot better. So, YMMV and all of that...

I say check out member Kenrup here athttp://ruprazor.com/store/index.php he has double arrows and Wapi's in stock and has a cheap strop none of which are the fanciest but the razor comes shave ready and it and a strop for 1/2 of what you were going to pay elsewhere, all will do the job just fine until you decide whether it is for you or not, he also has better blades and strops if you want really want to spend more

I'd suggest a 1/4 grind.
x2... I have both a 1/4 and a full hollow and have found it much easier to get a great shave with the 1/4 grind, when I first started.... still prefer it :)

the razors from classic shaving are honed by lynn, who is the BEST at honing, period. He has honed thousands of razors and has been doing it for decades. I would buy from him over anyone else for the Dovo. His DVD is amazing and is worth it. Three hours of Straight razor shaving jedi mastery.

Also master the shave before you get a hone. If you do ever get a hone and your razor came shave ready, you won't need to set the bevel with a faster cutting stone like a norton 4k/8k. Just stick with a barber's hone or a pasted strop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom