What's new

Feathers - Is this a weeper I see before me?

Once, long ago, (about 18 months, actually) I tried a Feather.

With great respect I gingerly placed it against my face and kept it moving, never stopping, planning each swipe and stroke, letting it whisper it's deadly intent to my whiskers. Two passes were all my soul could muster and I lowered the razor in humility, uncut but barely shaven.
I was too new with a double edge, so I stepped back and dedicated myself to the basics. With Crystal tutors leading me through my elementary courses, I finally reached the point where I was slicing away with ease; north, than south, than touch-ups against the grain. I attained an almost constant BBS, and the old weepers on the side of my Adams apple faded to red splotches, then a memory. I was a competent shaver, with more than a year of practice.

So tonight, needing a fresh blade, I released a Feather from it's papery imprisonment and collared it snarling in my razor. With a familiar respect I began, slow but with a graduate's confidence, never pushing and with my usual angle. Three passes and I smiled, my fingers finding no grit. I washed my brush and scuttle and face and lifted my polished visage to the glass...
and like the tears of some hellish spirit, crimson began to flow. Slowly my neck wept at my arrogance, first here, then there. Another ruby bead joined them, and another, and soon my throat was bespeckled with the stinging dewdrops of a morning in Hades, while my Feathers snickered at me from the shelf.

It's a terrible thing, to stand in a fading cloud of soap aroma, bleeding, beginning to hurt, knowing you will be typing failure into the forums of Badger & Blade.

I have two theories. One, I have a semi-soft beard and a soft face, so it maybe my face is simply too tender for a Feather's edge.
The other theory is that a Feather, mounted in a Merkur HD as mine was, is too aggressive for my particular mug.
No matter the cause, it would seem that the loudly lauded Feather has found me unworthy.

I am... hamburger-ed.

:blushing:

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

I hate Feathers. Always gave me irritation.

Are they sharp? Yes.
Do they shave well for me? No.

Well written!

I, too, was speckled with blood the first time I used a feather blade. But I had a bunch left in my sampler package, and, being the cheap bastard that I am, didn't want to waste them. So I tried again. Turns out, these blades shave very nicely if you don't exert any pressure. Just got a bbs shave today, using my Red Tip and a feather.

I hate Feathers. Always gave me irritation.

Are they sharp? Yes.

What he said. I realize they're spoken of in near-reverent tones by many of us, but I think they suck balls. I've needed a transfusion after each of the three times I've tried them. YMMV, of course. :biggrin:

I had a few weepers early on with Feathers but after learning to shave with them they quickly became one of my favorites, definite top 3.

Are they sharp? Yes.

That's exactly how I feel, too. The Feathers are just "too" sharp for my beard / face. I use Derby blades and my favorite shave is always the second or third time on the blade. I guess my face just likes something a bit more dull.

Cheers,
Danny

One thing I have noticed about Feathers - the first shave or two is harsh. Then they settle down. I think perhaps I will have to try corking them.

I've persisted 3 times so far with a feather, the first in a tech, the last in a fatboy set on#1. The fatboy seemed to do the best job although probably because that's my go to razor and I'm used to it but I still had multiple weepers. I haven't given up yet (I'm a sucker for punishment):lol:

I've persisted 3 times so far with a feather, the first in a tech, the last in a fatboy set on#1. The fatboy seemed to do the best job although probably because that's my go to razor and I'm used to it but I still had multiple weepers. I haven't given up yet (I'm a sucker for punishment):lol:

I've used a feather in several razors and I'd have to say that the fatboy was probably the smoothest ride so far, set on 1 of course. If I bump up to 2 or 3, forget about it. The tech wasn't so bad either and now that I think about it my super-speed wasn't terrible, but the fatboy has been the best...

I had a few weepers early on with Feathers but after learning to shave with them they quickly became one of my favorites, definite top 3.

+1 The only razor in which a Feather doesn't perform for me is ... a Feather Portable. :redface: Go figure, but I'm not giving up yet!

I too tried and failed with Feathers (also with an HD) after a good few months of DE shaving. For my face Feathers (or at least in combination with an HD) are just too much. I did have some shaves that were without blood, but not very many.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm just about to try a batch of Gillette 7 o'clocks (green pack) that I brought back from India last week. Should they turn out to be less than suitable then I hope I will realise this a little more quickly than with the Feathers!

I just used a feather this morning in a 1920 Old Type, numerous weepers. this is the 3rd time I have tried a feather and I find these blades are too sharp, at least with the razors I have.

How can a blade be "too sharp"? Not sharp enough, uneven/rough, etc., I understand. I want a blade to be a sharp as possible.

The variables are razor, prep, technique, and face (beard/skin) ...

Top Bottom