What's new

First Two Shaves Under My Belt (more advice?)

Okay, last night was shave number two since I abandoned cartridge razors and canned goo.

Here is my routine so far (submitted for scrutiny):

Hot shower
Col. Conk bay rum soap
Vulfix 660 SBB (lee's razors, I dig this brush :biggrin:)
Boker 5/8
Miller Latigo strop (about 15 rounds)
splash of cool water
Dominica bay rum (burns like a sonofagun!)
Barclay Crocker ASM
WTG, XTG, ATG (where I can. I wear a goatee, and have not figured out how to go ATG on the neck underneath it.)

I have irritated the foolishness out of my neck, and have yet to get a smooth shave down there. The side burn area is golden, no problems there. The neck was a slight problem with my old cartridge. It seems that no matter what I do I can't get a great shave on either side of the Adam's apple.

I spent some time after shaving last night giving the razor a good strop on the canvas and then on the latigo. I suspected that a sharper razor may help.

Any advice otherwise? Am I just experiencing newbieness? Should I consider a higher quality soap? How much difference would that make? I have a puck of Kent that just came in last week. I wanted to get a baseline before I started switching stuff. Do I need to give it another go before trying other soft goods?

Thanks for any tips. :redface:

So am I on the right track here? (bumping this thread seems quite shameless :blushing:...perhaps it is) Any seasoned veterans out there with some tips?

Top Bottom