What's new

No animal products shaving soap list

We do not use animal products. Our glycerin is vegetable based. Only one soap contains lanolin, it's clearly identified by it's name: Lanolin
Sue

That's good to know. I'm not sure what you put in your milks, but those are truly remarkable... :yesnod:

I wrote Taylor of Old Bond Street and they confirmed their shaving line does NOT use any animal products. The stearic acid is vegetable based. I would assume most companies outside of the US would use a vegetable base stearic acid, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

What about Trumper's or Real Shaving Co? I'm pretty sure they do not contain animal by products. Also - Art of Shaving - Shaving cream (soaps contain tallow).

What about Trumper's or Real Shaving Co? I'm pretty sure they do not contain animal by products. Also - Art of Shaving - Shaving cream (soaps contain tallow).

Probably all vegan, just have to confirm if the stearic acid is animal or vegetable base. If it's made outside the US it's most likely vegetable based.

I appreciate you folks keeping this thread updated. I have read repeated reference to TOBS, for example, but never knew it was animal-free.

In general, I have come to assume a soap or cream has animal products unless I see here that it doesn't.

I'm currently using Kell's Original hemp with ultra aloe, Arabian Spice scent. Pretty good, although with some brushes the lather can tend to ball up a little bit.

Why no lanolin? I understand not wanting hooves in your soap, but wool grease?

Some vegans are completely against any production use of animals. I know a couple of them and it's just a personal choice - and, when thought about a while, an understandable one. They won't use wool, leather etc. and some even prefer linen over cotton. It's all about having an as low as possible ethical and ecological impact.

I think that when the shop I work in shall add the shaving products (1-2 weeks, probably) in our selection, we shall carry at least 1-2 completely vegan soaps and cremes.

Some vegans are completely against any production use of animals. I know a couple of them and it's just a personal choice - and, when thought about a while, an understandable one. They won't use wool, leather etc. and some even prefer linen over cotton. It's all about having an as low as possible ethical and ecological impact.

I think that when the shop I work in shall add the shaving products (1-2 weeks, probably) in our selection, we shall carry at least 1-2 completely vegan soaps and cremes.

I am one of those that are no lanolin/no tallow. I even avoid food with vitamin d3, which is derived from sheep's wool?

That being said..............I love me some Mama Bear

Here's a list of soaps I have that I am pretty confident that dont have tallow or animal based stearic acid. Some might have lanolin though.

- Jabonman
- Calani
- Klar
- Tobs
- GFT (the new ones)
- MDC
- Razorock (XXX, KL, Muget de france)
- SMN
- AdP
- Mamabear
- Honeybee soaps
- Kells original soap
- Nanny silly
- iColoniali
- TFS hard and soft
- QED shaving soap
- Cade
- Stropshoppe (the animal based ones are marked out)

Indeed, as discussed Ayodh, all these soaps manufactured them 100% vegetable. Palm stearin use instead of stearic acid and glycerine is of vegetable origin.

- Ylang Ylang, Patchouli-Orange
- Vetiver-Tangerine-Litsea Cubeba
- Lavender
- Honey-Incense
- Patchouli-Sandalwood
- Laurel-Black Pepper .......................... (Usable on December 1, 2012)
- Musk-flower tea ................................ (Usable on December 12, 2012)
- Neroli Grapefruit-Mint-........................ (Usable on December 13, 2012)

Last edited:
A small resurrection.

When we say a product is "vegetarian" or "animal-free" do we also mean the company does not test on animals? Or are we referring simply to animal products in the formulation?

Also, for those reading the older posts: some companies formerly listed as cruelty-free now do test on animals. I know Tom's of Maine now does, as does Burt's Bees. It seems I had heard a couple others listed may now do so as well but I could be mistaken and won't know until i look it up.

Ingredients from my Parker sandalwood & shea soap:

Aqua, Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Glycerin, Sorbitol, SLES [I assume sodium laureth sulfate], Propylene Glycol, Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycerin, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric).

They do not say if the glycerin has a vegetable source. I assume it does, but may try to contact them to find out, and will post here if I hear back.

The label also states "not tested on animals." Now, as we know, this could mean many things, like "we didn't test the finished product on animals, it's true, but we totally tested every ingredient!" Then again, it's difficult to truthfully state that none of the ingredients were tested on animals, because inevitably every ingredient under the sun probably has been at one point in history. So take from it what you will.

I may also try to contact makers of the other stuff I got recently-- Col. Conk, Derby, etc. I bought my soaps and creams from the "animal friendly" and 'vegan" sections at Shave Tools, and I love that they have that to make it easy, but since they have Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, which is neither animal friendly nor vegan as it contains tallow and lanolin, in those sections, I've been wondering if I really ought to take their word for it.

Unfortunately Googling has found me very little definitive, and shave stuff is uncommon enough that these companies don't appear on the lists put out by PETA and such.

Personally I have an interest in many of the "mainstream" brands carried by the shave shops, simply for the purpose of saving on shipping-- when I bought my initial n00b gear, I really wanted to order from one place and not pay a bunch of shipping. In future I may try some of the artisan soaps-- if I ever manage to run out of the stuff I first bought, I really want to try the Mama Bear soaps-- but usually I try to combine shipping whenever possible so prefer one-stop-shopping. So I'm going to try to research some of these brands further and I'll let you know what I find out.

THE PRIMAL EARTH OATH

100% Vegetarian. No: Animal Testing, Artificial Colours,
Parabens of Phthalates. (No BS).
Just New Zealand naturally active ingredients that work.

These guys are in New Zealand and their stuff is great to use. They say they don't test on animals but I'm not sure if they are Vegan.

http://www.primalearth.co.nz/

Top Bottom