What's new

No animal products shaving soap list

I added those to the update; I got a nice email from Sue confirming they don't use animal products. I think I'm going to be buying some of those pretty soon!

You may want to give the honeybee soaps a try. They some in a lot of different scents and they tend to work well.

I think it's safe to say whenever you see something with tallow or sodium tallowate in, there's animal product in there. However stearic acid and glycerin can both be obtained from animal or vegetable sources, so it's not clear cut. Some other ingredients that can be both vegetable and animal are fragrance or soap flakes.

As a previous poster pointed out, it's pretty much a case of asking each soap maker -and of course, assuming they are truthful -if animal products are used. As soon as I get answers, I'll update my original post. Nice link by the way, thanks!

Can we post up a list of animal or animal derived ingredients?

Such as:
Tallow, Stearic Acid

I found a partial list here:

http://www.happycow.net/health-animal-ingredients.html

Kiss my face- all creams
motherbearnaturals- Mug O' Soap for Shaving
men-u- all creams and very nice brush!
burts bees- Bay Rum Shaving Soap

I think most creams are out and you are basically down to glycerin soap or possibly shea butter soap. But, from what I have read here and elsewhere, unless the maker tells you they use kosher vegetable glycerin you should assume that the glycerin was derived from animal sources. Most of the French shea butter soaps contain glycerin too so you really need to address this ingredient. A few soap makers/experts have recently elaborated on the glycerin issue here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1128580#post1128580

I use QED Essentials glycerin shaving soap. Here's the ingredients list: saponified 100% food grade coconut, palm castor & safflower oils, with kosher vegetable glycerin, soybean protein, aloe vera extract, and natural essential oil(s). Charles, who makes QED indicates that these soaps contain no animal products. They are highly regarded here, although you may need to read the technique stickies to get a lather you like.

Pre De Provence is a nice shea butter soap but I haven't been able to confirm 100% that the glycerin is veg. Ingredients: potassium palmate, sodium palmate, potassium palm kernelate, sodium palm kernelate, glycerin, water (aqua), fragrance (parfum), palm kernel acid, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate, tetrasodium etidronate, rosemary extract - soybean oil (rosmariunus officinalis - glycine soja)

You can find a few really nice ones out there as the many responses indicate. Best of luck~

Does the remark about Van der Hagen apply to all their soaps? The only one whose packaging I have on hand is the Glycerin, which does specify no animal products, but I was under the impression that the Deluxe contained lanolin (which would be vegetarian, but not vegan). It's not of personal concern to me (I'm just a vegetarian), just throwing it out there.

The Ogallala Bay Rum looks promising (ingredients here) but I can't speak to the origin of the glycerin. Might be worth a look. My memory is that the same is true of Col. Conk.

Most glycerine for shave soaps is derived from plant oils, IIRC.

I've got some shave cream from 'The Body Shop' and they have signs all over the place about no animal testing, and no animal ingredients. Nice cream, too!

Godrej Shaving Round. Review corner on soaps contains the ingredients.

A note on Glycerin in Indian Shaving products. India has predominantly a vegetarian population with extremely high sensitivity to products of and derived from animals. The Indian industry therefore is extremely careful to avoid conflict of interests and all ingredients would be from vegetable sources only even if not stated. Any hint of animal derived ingredients have to mention animal derivative by law.

Last edited:
I believe Susie's Bubbles N Squeak specifically says that their glycerin is vegetable derived. It's pretty good soap, too...

PS After further review, Susie does offer a choice of shaving soap based on goat's milk, olive oil, or shea butter, so you would have to take your pick...

Pre De Provence is a nice shea butter soap but I haven't been able to confirm 100% that the glycerin is veg.
It would be extremely stupid of the manufacturer to produce glycerin from saponifaction of the palm oils going into PdP, remove it, and then replace it by glycerin animalistic in origin. It's a very safe bet to say the glycerin is vegetal. That said, Provence Santé shaving soap can be added to the list, and on their French website explicitly list the glycerin as being vegetal.

PS and PdP are very good soaps, by the way, so the saying that a good soap must include tallow can be safely dismissed as untrue.

Last edited:
Does the remark about Van der Hagen apply to all their soaps? The only one whose packaging I have on hand is the Glycerin, which does specify no animal products, but I was under the impression that the Deluxe contained lanolin (which would be vegetarian, but not vegan). It's not of personal concern to me (I'm just a vegetarian), just throwing it out there.
Van der Hagen Deluxe has been reformulated and no longer contains lanolin. It now contains aloe vera and shea butter, which is good 'cause I should stay away from lanolin. VDH Deluxe and Glycerin are in my regular rotation.

Dave

Another thought is that many commercial made product are made with the price tag in mind. Sadly many might buy either depending on the price and supplier. So unless the label specifically says it's vegetable based it's up in the air as to which it is.

And if you email or call them the person on the other line may not know or want to take the time to investigate the answer for you. So it's possible they might tell you want they think you want to hear. It's been known to happen before, not about soap but with another company a friend of mine and I were trying to get information some additional details about a product they made.

We do not use animal products. Our glycerin is vegetable based. Only one soap contains lanolin, it's clearly identified by it's name: Lanolin
Sue

Top Bottom