What's new

New Gear Review/Shave Review

Amazon has come through at last. Here's the line-up:
1. Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream
2. Parker 22R Butterfly Razor with 10 Parker Blades
3. 100 Derby Extras

The Avocado smells nice, in its tub. I find/found it perplexing. How do you lather up? I thought I would take some and put it in a cup, then froth it, but rather I put the brush in the container and lathered on my face, which was already thoroughly prepped (hot towel, prolonged washing with dermatalogically approved soap.) I found it produced a thick, almost occlusive lather immediately, right on my face. Any tips on using this would be welcomed.

As for the Parker, it is shiny, chromy and much heavier than the Gillettee. I did not care for the individually wrapped blades; I might cut myself here! By this I mean I liked the dispenser of my Walgreen blades. As I tightened the mechanism there was a slight catch, but it seemed to have no effect. I examined the blade clearance carefully, using a visor: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_612263_612263
This matched to 4-5 on my Gillette adjustable. The gap appeared straight along the edge. There was no buckling.

The shave was a two pass, WTG, effort. My razor angle was steeper than expected. Now here's an issue: the chrome handle of the Parker in not knurled, and I found it slippery. Several times I felt there was potential for slippage, though nothing bad happened, thank goodness. My review: a good shave, with nary a cut. Was this the Parker, or the blade? Previously I used the Walgreens blade, which I slammed.

Finally, having no after shave I used a Clinique product (moisturizing lotion) cast off by my wife, on the way to a more emollient mixture. This has virtually no odor, and is a light lotion. Her review of my shave, by the way, was very good.

Comments: I need to understand how to use the Avocado. This is not like whipping up lather from a cake in a cup! I'm considering roughing up the handle of the Parker, though I don't want to ruin or disfigure it. I'll need to make a blade box too, because these individually wrapped blades need safe haven when I'm finished with them. Finally, this blade worked well. It was smooth across my face.

New Orleans

Last edited:
Amazon has come through at last. Here's the line-up:
1. Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream

The Avocado smells nice, in its tub. I find/found it perplexing. How do you lather up? I thought I would take some and put it in a cup, then froth it, but rather I put the brush in the container and lathered on my face, which was already thoroughly prepped (hot towel, prolonged washing with dermatalogically approved soap.) I found it produced a thick, almost occlusive lather immediately, right on my face. Any tips on using this would be welcomed.

TOBS Avocado is a staple in my shaving routine. I just use a spoon to scoop out an almond sized amount of cream and then I mix it in a bowl.

Good review, Clint. I especially appreciate your including a link to the magnifier visor, which I think I would like to buy for my wife, who does some watercolor painting of small botanical subjects.

Vis a vis the wrapped blades, see this thread for a good tip by Jim.

Ed

you don't really have to scoop out the cream from the tub. just dip the brush into the tub then make your lather in a mug or right on your face. don't bother scooping!

When I lathered it on my face it was a bit dry. I like the idea of not using the cup, one less thing to clean up.

Top Bottom