What's new

For Dave (GEM story inside)

V

VR6ofpain

Dear Dave,

I am really upset about what just happened. We have talked on the forum about GEM razors and SE blade varieties, sometimes disagreeing. You seem to have your position, while I have been trying to find mine. Well tonight really has me concerned.

Let me give you some background. I have thrown a new razor (Gillette NEW) and soap (custom milled mixture of Tabac and T&H) into the rotation, having a few bad shaves mixed with some good shaves. After Monday's shave, I was a little annoyed and decided to skip my shave this morning. Getting close to two days growth tonight, I decided I would have a shave...my face was definitely recovered. I was dividing up the last Pella blades I have, since I was giving some with a couple of GEM's (Featherweight and a Push-Button) to a member as part of a sale in the BST. For whatever reason there was an extra blade after putting together three sets of five. This combined with the fact that I pulled the Push-Button out of a tin where my other GEMs are stored made me realize I should give a GEM a go. Looking at the two other GEMs in the tin (an old 1912 and a Micromatic), I figured I would shave with something I have never used before.

Enter the GEM 1912 shave. So I load the Pella into the 1912, which honestly looks really sad. The razor polished up nice, but has TONS OF BRASSING. I note that the blade seem closer to the guard (less gap) than my other, newer, GEM razors. Interesting, lets move on.

I rinse my face with hot water, soap my face with my custom milled Tabac/T&H soap (thanks Lou!) and then start soaking the brush. After loading my 2008 LE brush upside down (thanks Mantic!), I get some good lather built up on my face. Yes I face lather baby! Here comes the shave.

DAMN. This 1912 cuts through the extra growth like it is nothing. Each pass almost pulls off BBS!!! ***?!? After a single pass WTG, I rinse off with warm water. F**king A. I could just stop right here, totally close shave, ZERO IRRITATION, NOT A NICK. Well this is a GEM, we don't f**k around with a man's razor. I lather up again, and do my signature second pass, ATG (FYI, I only do this with SE razors). After the face is done, I rinse again. BBS, not freaking joke. Just 2 little blood spots on my neck (big surprise, as I always have trouble with SE and my neck). The good part is, the neck is smooth as silk (not something I always can say with even a good shave).

Well you were right, these old 1912's are a serious tool, not to be underestimated. I stand corrected and please accept my apology. Guess what? That Pella blade I don't care for? Worked like a charm this shave. Go figure!

I really wish this shave had gone different. I can already see myself searching "gem razor" on ebay tomorrow. Argh.

picture.php

V

VR6ofpain

Oh, the decant says "Floid Vig". Floid Vigoroso that is. Amazing stuff. Thanks again Lou!

Here is the full size image:
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I can already see myself searching "gem razor" on ebay tomorrow.

Dang! More GEM-eBay competition! Well at least I already have a half-decent and workable 1912. But I'm out for a GEM in "gem" condition!

I missed out on Erwin's Ever-Ready Jewel. Too slow with the trigger finger.

Gabe,

Dave will be very happy to hear your story. I also know just how great those "ugly" little GEM 1912 models shave. I have 2 of them and 1 1912 Ever Ready in my rotation. Great shavers.

But don't underestimate the old style GEM, GEM Jr, ER lather catcher style razors either. They too work very well with the Pella blades. In fact I prefer the Lather Catcher style better than the 1912s.

Enjoy your search for those elusive GEM razors.

Nice story. :thumbup1:

Happy to have helped too. I like the medieval look of those earlier SE, which funny enough is what keeps me from getting one as well; results not withstanding.

Ambrose, you can find those Pellas here

well. ive only been awake for 15 minutes and youve already made my day :lol:

and no apology needed. some blades work in some razors and in others they dont. that applies to SE razors as well. it happens.

these are things i love to hear, seriously. im really glad it worked for you. even the ugliest 1912 should not be underestimated for it could probably give you the best shave of your life.

Interesting link to the Pella page.

Are those the same GEM blades available elsewhere? Prices seem fantastic 200 blades for $10 to $35.

VR6ofpain: Which of those blades were you referring to in your initial post?

Any reason not to go for the most expensive? Even those are only about 17 cents per blade.

Are those the same GEM blades available elsewhere? Prices seem fantastic 200 blades for $10 to $35.

Any reason not to go for the most expensive? Even those are only about 17 cents per blade.

From Pella, get the "121-3" blade. It is the stainless, PTFE coated blade. You can also find this blade in some stores being sold under the "Gem by Personna" label. It will be more expensive but it will be in a dispenser type packaging. Either way, it is a Gem blade made by American Safety Razor.

Regards,
Tom

Also, if you place the order by phone, depending on who answers the call, I've heard they may try to dissuade you from making a purchase because they are more of an industrial medical supplier. Don't let that stop you :biggrin: .

EDIT: DE blades are towards the bottom of the page, just above the injector blades

Last edited:
DE blades are towards the bottom of the page, just bellow the injector blades

Argh! Skimmed right over them. Not too much of a selection, though. They have Feathers but not the ones I think DE shavers would be familiar with and they are at a very high price. Their no-name DE blades look like they are probably very good and are quite inexpensive in lots of 250.

I did see all those other blades with unusual shapes/sizes. I have been interested in finding a blade to fit my Enders and do have some vintage Enders blades on order just to see what they look like. Once I get those I will measure and see if any of the blades Pella has match up. It is nice they give such precise measurements!

Great story. I had a bunch of GEMs sitting a box with a "lot" purchase off the 'bay. One day I read one of Dave's posts about the 1912 and sure enough, I had one sitting there gathering dust. I tried it, and was just blown away.

I now use GEMs pretty much all the time now.

V

VR6ofpain

Try it again and make sure the great shave didn't have anything to do with skipping a day of shave.:biggrin:
Oh trust me, tomorrow's shave (I was still presentable this morning from last night's shave) will be with the GEM and the same setup. You are correct, sometimes skipping a day makes a shave that would normally be "just good"...more like "insane" or "amazing".

I also uploaded a full size image (up top). Photobucket was down last night, so I had to attach via the site's image upload...which compressed the image down. You can see the brassing in the big pic.

As far as the Pella blades I mentioned (GEM Stainless PTFE coated), everyone should be able to find them at the drug store nearest you...or one of them that is. Locally they are sold as GEM Personna Stainless Steel blades. I can get them at Walgreen's. Rite Aid sells Treet carbon steel (my favorites in the Featherweights).

Oh trust me, tomorrow's shave (I was still presentable this morning from last night's shave) will be with the GEM and the same setup. You are correct, sometimes skipping a day makes a shave that would normally be "just good"...more like "insane" or "amazing".

I also uploaded a full size image (up top). Photobucket was down last night, so I had to attach via the site's image upload...which compressed the image down. You can see the brassing in the big pic.

As far as the Pella blades I mentioned (GEM Stainless PTFE coated), everyone should be able to find them at the drug store nearest you...or one of them that is. Locally they are sold as GEM Personna Stainless Steel blades. I can get them at Walgreen's. Rite Aid sells Treet carbon steel (my favorites in the Featherweights).

Our local CVS also has the Treet blades, which I'm using now. I've seen the GEM-branded blades somewhere around here, just can't remember where.:redface:

Top Bottom