What's new

Anyone trying out Safari 4 Beta?

I like it, the new "top sites" feature is growing on me and I can see myself using it a lot. Cover flow, not so much. I don't use cover flow in iTunes or on my iPhone so I don't really think using it in a browser will be any more appealing. Don't know yet how I feel about the tabs being moved above the address bar, but I'm sure that will just take some getting used to.

edit: I was checking out the cover flow and browsing my history, it's actually pretty cool.

Last edited:
I've been testing it out since the first day. My first impressions are pretty good. A few bugs, but nothing too bad. The tab relocation takes getting used to, but I don't mind it. The Top Sites feature is very cool. Like NFlames pointed out, the Cover Flow for history is cool, but not very useful IMHO.

I agree with the others that the Top Sites is really cool and the History Cover Flow while cool isn't anything I've used yet. As far as it goes, I'd use it 100% if it weren't for a couple of sites that don't seem to work for either security reasons (i.e. the media stream on chess.fm off of the Internet Chess Club won't run the secure media stream and my wife can't sign onto QVC using it) and compatibility problems (i.e. Netflix's Instant Play doesn't work). If Apple can get those things fixed up, I'd dump IE tomorrow.

its ok I am fairly happy with it... I have had a few minor errors with it stalling...

The top sites feature only works if your video card can has enough mojo to handle it...

I have installed here at the office on a few boxes; so far so good :cool:

I have it on our Macintosh at work. I mainly use it when credit union members call in with problems on a Macintosh that I cant recreate on my work computer, such as Safari 2.0.2 would not let you change your password. We had to have members log into Firefox to change their password etc...wasn't until Safari 3.0 that it worked again.

Yup, using it now. Didn't like the new tab location, so I changed it back to the old location. Definitely wanted several buttons back: stop/reload, and make fonts smaller/larger. Put them back as well, all thanks to postings seen on Macsurfer.com for tweaking this version. I really like best the ability to zoom on any page and not have the page "come apart" or overlap like it did before. The forums at dpreview.com always caused me problems in this regard, and now that's fixed. There have been a few minor quibbles/crashes, but nothing too severe. All in all, a good beta.

Im using it now so far so good, I like the new features now I just have to play with them a bit more and get used to them.

Yup, using it now. Didn't like the new tab location, so I changed it back to the old location. Definitely wanted several buttons back: stop/reload, and make fonts smaller/larger. Put them back as well, all thanks to postings seen on Macsurfer.com for tweaking this version. I really like best the ability to zoom on any page and not have the page "come apart" or overlap like it did before. The forums at dpreview.com always caused me problems in this regard, and now that's fixed. There have been a few minor quibbles/crashes, but nothing too severe. All in all, a good beta.

Yep, I couldn't handle the tabs on top thing so I put them back where they're supposed to go. Order is restored. :biggrin:

For a quick and dirty way to do this (in Leopard)

Here’s how to disable the Tabs on Top feature in Safari 4. Open Terminal in OS X and type:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

To restore Tabs on Top type:

defaults delete com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop

Do any of you all have a hotmail account and use the new Safari? I downloaded it and love it except for the fact I can't check my email anymore using my MSN account(hotmail)?

I'm not a big fan of the new safari- I can't check my hotmail, and opera has had that "top sites" feature for a long time. It's not a big jump forward in my books. I expected more...

I don't mean to start any huge debate right now :)biggrin:), but I don't understand why Apple hasn't done some of the things that make a PC easier to use. For example, I right-click, use backspace, and like a keypad on my laptop. I haven't switched to a Mac because I can't do those things, and the fewer USB ports compared to my laptops.

Top Bottom