What's new

Difference between creams and gels?

I was reading that gels are sometimes better so you can see what you are shaving. However, I assume they don't lather like creams. I am still doing research, but I wanted to ask:

What are the benefits to using creams as apposed to gel?

Which is better for everyday use?

The benefit to creams is that they lather, which I prefer. I think that skin benefits can be equal between creams and gels, depending on brands compared.

I prefer the latherable shaving creams. I find the lathering creams (or better soaps) are generally slicker and overall better performers. I also prefer the creams' scents in general, but that's just me.

The only shaving gels I am acquainted with are the common store brands (Edge, etc), and generally they lather very little, not like Proraso or Taylor creams at all. Enough, though, that if I rub it into my stubble for a few seconds I can't see what I'm shaving. I don't care for them much personally, although whatever works for you is all that matters. There might be higher-end gels that are more effective, but generally speaking I don't have a use for gels or aerosols.

As for seeing what I am shaving, I don't worry about it. After I make my passes with the razor, I check to see if I missed any spots, and go over what I need to again until I'm satisfied (or sore!). That's my opinion and experience, hope it helps.

I've heard that Zirh and Anthony Logistics gels are very good although I haven't used them myself.

I prefer lathering creams and soaps as I get to use a brush to lift the hairs on my face and really work the lather into my beard, which further prepares my face for a shave.

IMO creams which lather do perform better that gels such as Edge because they keep more water against your face and stubble which helps to soften the hair and make it softer.

This is not the recommended way to shave, but you could qualitatively test this yourself by starting with a dry face (no shower beforehand) and lather one side with your favorite gel, and then lather the other side for 2-4 minutes (extra time is needed since you are starting dry) with traditional shave cream lather. Then shave and see which side is easier with less irritation. You can exaggerate the test by using a older razor blade which has been used a few times, one that is otherwise on its last acceptable shave day. I have never tried this exact test, but it would surely answer your question.

did not like anything zirh
zirh shave cream 1 out of 5 stars
zirh gel 2 out of 5 stars
pre shave oil 3 out of 5
face wash smells great but destroyed my face
made me break out even more
anthony logistics
shave cream smells great shave 3 1/2 out of five
aftershave balm 3 out of 5 stars

Top Bottom