What's new

Speakeasy Aquisitions - March 09

Oh. My.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I just... um... I need a minute...

:a39:

That's an exciting haul. Nice selections. Any chance we could get a 5x6 matrix with tasting notes for all possible combinations?? :001_tongu

You rat. I haven't been able to turn up the Antica formula locally. :drool:

The PeM is my go-to vermouth for Manhattans.

You rat. I haven't been able to turn up the Antica formula locally. :drool:
Worth seeking out - amazing flavors of licorice and clove with a clean finish.

That's an exciting haul. Nice selections. Any chance we could get a 5x6 matrix with tasting notes for all possible combinations??
HA! My work is cut out for me!

I picked up a bottle of the current George T. Stagg, hazmat proof. Mmmmm.
That is good stuff! I like it straight but I can't really taste all the detail until the second or third sip.

Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra single malt. Much lighter and dryer than what I usually drink - I like sherry cask malts typically. This is refreshing, floural, with citris and an oak finish. Its a nice change of pace whiskey for me but I shall return to my staple Balvenie Doublewood more frequently.

proxy.php

Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra single malt. Much lighter and dryer than what I usually drink - I like sherry cask malts typically. This is refreshing, floural, with citris and an oak finish. Its a nice change of pace whiskey for me but I shall return to my staple Balvenie Doublewood more frequently.

proxy.php

It's a nice spicy, fruity malt. I really like it for the summertime when you don't feel like something heavy. :thumbup1:

I see you have been bitten by the Bug....Spyder Bug. :biggrin:

I see you have been bitten by the Bug....Spyder Bug. :biggrin:

This is the first time I've looked into some of the higher end Spydercos. For what each of those knives are, I am very happy with them. I'm not sure if I'll keep the Civilian, as you can see from the picture, that knife is an absolute beast, just sitting out on a table it looks scary. But for it's purpose, I don't believe there's a better knife available.

I also like the Tasman Salt, it's the black plain edge with the harpy blade in the pic. It has the H1 steel that's rustproof. Very cool knife, super light and deploys pretty well. I've always been a huge fan of that blade shape both in terms of aesthetics and utility. I think it will make a very nice EDC knife.

Finally, the crown jewel of my acquisitions, the Caly3 with Carbon Fiber and the ZDP-189. It is a wonderful knife, very thin, outstanding edge and it is the most comfortable knife I've ever held. So far in my search, this is the best pure cutting tool I've come across. I'm so impressed with the quality of this knife. I've been looking at this knife for a few months and I'd like to thank Joel for his coercion, I mean, recommendation that pushed me over the edge. :biggrin:

All of these Spyderco's are very nice knives, I think I still prefer Benchmade in terms of aesthetics and from all the knives I've used the Benchmade deployment is absolutely unmatched, but the deployment has very much improved on these Spyderco's than the cheap delicas I carried several years ago. Thus far, I'm happy with my purchase, I'd rather have a Matriarch than the Civilian and I really wish I had bought that Matriarch a few years ago when they cost about $50. :wink:

Today was one of those days that I'll remember for the rest of my life as a scientist. I received notice that my research -- my largely self-directed project that's been wrought with nearly 4 years of laborious difficulties and dead-ends, was accepted for publication in a rather prestigious journal. These past few years have been immensely trying, and its enormously satisfying to finally get it to this point. This will be my first primary-author publication. I'm certainly not done yet, but this was probably the tallest hurdle standing between me and my degree. The light at the end of the tunnel just got a lot brighter. :smartass:

View attachment 42295

So today, to treat myself properly and commemorate the day, I picked up a bottle of Cragganmore 12 (I was really in the mood for a Speyside, and they didn't have the Balvenie Single Barrel that I wanted.. meh) and finally pulled the trigger on that little vacation to London I've been hoping to go on, now that the price has dropped by about half.

It feels good. :a12:

Congrats Pat! Let us know when it's published. I've had a similar honor and I completely understand it makes it all worth the work.

Today I had a mini haul:

4 shirts and silver cufflinks from TM Lewin
1 pant from Banana Republic
"Biggest Fan" black slip-ons from Kenneth Cole

I picked up the moderatly priced Patron Citronge to try in margaritas.

And to top it off, my new Nikon D200 arrived. Why does it take so long for a battery to charge?

Congratulations on the publication, Pat! That's really something to be proud of. Enjoy the malt and the trip to London. You've earned it!

Top Bottom