What's new

Anywhere to shop in Jamaica?

The wife and I plan on taking a vacation to Jamaica in a few weeks. We'll be staying in Ocho Rios. Is there any type of shaving stuff that I can find there? If so, where? Thanks

Let me ask another question, are DE blades available there, or will I have to mail a couple in advance to myself?

I don't know about shops but many spas/barbershops give hot towel shaves. Perhaps people at the hotel or one of those barbershops can help you out.

The wife and I plan on taking a vacation to Jamaica in a few weeks. We'll be staying in Ocho Rios. Is there any type of shaving stuff that I can find there? If so, where? Thanks

Try the local Ganja soap. Works reeeeeeeally well. :biggrin:

Ms. MK-ULTRA and I were in Ocho Rios for an afternoon (cruise stop) nine years ago. I really hope things have changed.

We went into a couple of shops to look around. We were followed as we browsed. If we looked at an item for a nanosecond or even picked it up, someone was right there to tell us that they had a "special deal just for you". We couldn't take it any more and didn't go into any other shops.

We were in the open air market for all of 30 seconds because it was even worse. If you turned your head in the direction of someone's booth, you were practically dragged in by the arm.

That was really a shame because if they had just let us look around, we may have found some things to buy. We felt bad because we know they need tourist dollars, but would couldn't take the hovering.

Our next stop was Nassau, Bahamas. We went into a shop and looked around. After two minutes, we stopped and noticed that no one was following us around and that they let us browse in peace. We actually bought a few things.

I really hope things have changed and I look forward to reading about your experience.

Have a great trip!

P.S. All of the cigar stores in Ocho Rios seemed to have only Cuban cigars. No Jamaican cigars to be found. When I told them that I couldn't bring back Cuban cigars, they showed me how they simply replace the labels. This made me wonder if they were really Cuban to begin with.

Ms. MK-ULTRA and I were in Ocho Rios for an afternoon (cruise stop) nine years ago. I really hope things have changed.

We went into a couple of shops to look around. We were followed as we browsed. If we looked at an item for a nanosecond or even picked it up, someone was right there to tell us that they had a "special deal just for you". We couldn't take it any more and didn't go into any other shops.

We were in the open air market for all of 30 seconds because it was even worse. If you turned your head in the direction of someone's booth, you were practically dragged in by the arm.

That was really a shame because if they had just let us look around, we may have found some things to buy. We felt bad because we know they need tourist dollars, but would couldn't take the hovering.

Our next stop was Nassau, Bahamas. We went into a shop and looked around. After two minutes, we stopped and noticed that no one was following us around and that they let us browse in peace. We actually bought a few things.

I really hope things have changed and I look forward to reading about your experience.

Have a great trip!

P.S. All of the cigar stores in Ocho Rios seemed to have only Cuban cigars. No Jamaican cigars to be found. When I told them that I couldn't bring back Cuban cigars, they showed me how they simply replace the labels. This made me wonder if they were really Cuban to begin with.

We'll be staying at Sandals Resort so I don't think we'll have any interaction at all from the locals since they won't let them on the property. I don't even know if we will get a chance to go shopping off of the Resort grounds but just wondered if there was anything that shouldn't be passed up.

Hey, you will have to fill me in on how your vacation goes. We are taking our honeymoon there in 3.5 weeks. As for shopping I seem to recall something on the website where they will take you into town for a shopping trip. Naturally it was an up charge, but I think it was only 15 bucks. May be worth it just to see the local flavor.

Hey, you will have to fill me in on how your vacation goes. We are taking our honeymoon there in 3.5 weeks. As for shopping I seem to recall something on the website where they will take you into town for a shopping trip. Naturally it was an up charge, but I think it was only 15 bucks. May be worth it just to see the local flavor.

We'll be there the week of the 16th so it looks like we'll just miss you. Our daughter will be there in May for her honeymoon also, so you'll have to report back to me so I can pass your info on to her.

Wife surprised me with my graduation gift early and told me that we are going to her cousin's destination wedding in Jamaica this summer, sans kids! Every year I talk about how we need a vacation without the kids, and this is finally happening. :thumbup:

Anyway, it is also another excuse to do some fragrance shopping. I am thinking of blind buying a fat decant of VIW just for this, but am very open and interested to hear some other suggestions. So have at it, gents. What's your quintessential island fragrance?

VIW should capture the moment and it's light enough that you wouldn't feel overwhelmed. I would go with some bay rum and florida water as well.

Enjoy your vacation :thumbup1:

VIW would certainly be nice. You could buy yourself something while you're traveling--maybe find the Lime AS that Pussers makes or a good local bay rum. Plus there's always duty free shopping.

Creed Erolfa might be one to try, as well.

I've never tried it, but what do people think of MPG Eau des Iles?

Whatever you choose, have fun on your trip!

You could also consider going the rum, mint & tobacco route with Czech & Speake Cuba, or go a little tamer with Aramis Havana. You'd probably still want a lighter citrus scent to mix into the rotation.

Top Bottom