What's new

Suggest a Malty Ale

Eveywhere I go, I find hop heads championing the hoppiest beer they can find.

What good malty mild ales are available Nationally or in the DC/NoVA region?

I don't know what their distribution is like out there, but New Belgium Brewing Co.'s Fat Tire is nice and mild, with a lovely biscuit malt note.

It tastes like baking bread smells.:drool:

Last edited:
You have so many fine brewers around your area it is hard to select one. Since one man's mead (sic) is another man's poison, try some products from the following:

Troegs (out of Harrisburg, PA)
Victory (Downingtown, PA)
Dogfish Head (Milton, DE)

All of these brewers make very sound ales. Try one of each and see if any are to your liking. They are all available in NoVa. Let us know what you think.

Sounds like you are looking for a Mild! This style is more commonly called Standard or Ordinary Bitter.

Other non-hoppy lighter ales styles are California Common (Anchor Steam), Kolsch, Cream Ale. For a little more malt, try an Irish Red or English Brown.

Look for some kind of Scottish 60 shilling or 90 shilling. These are fairly hop-less beers but are quite tasty. Samuel Smith Nut Brown is a good malty beer as well. Nutty, tasty, available nearly everywhere. Check out ratebeer or beer advocate for a decent listing of beer distribution.

I would suggest Newcastle. I'm not a hop fan at all and this is my everyday beer for sure. To be honest I find most of the english ales very good. I think Samuel Smith was mentioned above, that is also very good just a bit more costly. Tetleys and Boddingtons are also very good for English style ales, though not sure if its what your looking for exactly.

Most of the British milds would fit the bill, also the brown ales, which you don't see around much these days, and they don't taste anything like Newcastle!

To be honest I'm one of those hopheads of which you speak. When I'm out playing for my morris team at pubs, we often run into beers we don't know. At this point, my mate Bill the Squire or myself buys a pint and tastes it. If I like it, he'll hate it! So I either drink it or pass it to Bill...

Gareth

You might like some of the belgum ales, such as an abby style ale. I found the Omegang Three Philosipher's ale to be exellent.

Thanks for the suggestions, I need to go shopping now. I'm really like any lesser hopped brew be it American, English, Scottish, Belgian, or German and enything from a blonde to an imperial stout.

I'm very interested in looking for an English Mild Ale that was mentioned.

I have been meaning to try Samual Smith, but the price has been keeping me away.

I don't know what their distribution is like out there, but New Belgium Brewing Co.'s Fat Tire is nice and mild, with a lovely biscuit malt note.

It tastes like baking bread smells.:drool:

I really like fat tire, but I have not found it here. Whenever I travel west I always order a few.

As a suggestion for finding something, look around and see if you can find a local store (wine shop?) that carries a selection of beer from around the world. If you find such a store have fun exploring (tasting) the inventory while deciding which beers you like!

Also, some pubs/bars/restaurants/etc carry a huge assortment of beer from all over. Some even have a club dedicated to tasting their way through them.

As a suggestion for finding something, look around and see if you can find a local store (wine shop?) that carries a selection of beer from around the world. If you find such a store have fun exploring (tasting) the inventory while deciding which beers you like!

Also, some pubs/bars/restaurants/etc carry a huge assortment of beer from all over. Some even have a club dedicated to tasting their way through them.

I have been doing this, just trying to narrow my target a bit. I just picked up some black dog ale today that was really decent. Also found a Victory Fiest Beer that I still have in the fridge (but it belongs to the GF).

Look for some kind of Scottish 60 shilling or 90 shilling. These are fairly hop-less beers but are quite tasty. Samuel Smith Nut Brown is a good malty beer as well. Nutty, tasty, available nearly everywhere. Check out ratebeer or beer advocate for a decent listing of beer distribution.
I agree, the Scottish beers are often very malty and tasty but not very hoppy.
STRONGLY agree with Sam Smith Nut Brown -- that's a great beer!
(I think I have to go buy some now).

Otter Creek Copper ale is mild and a little malty, not too hoppy and very tasty. Easily found in New England / Northeast (it's brewed in VT). Might be easy to find in VA.

not sure of the laws in DC area, but here in NC you can get some great beer at lowes foods. Personally I am a Imperial stout guy, so I recommend Sam smith or Victory Storm King stout. Also try Corsondunk (sp) trapist ale from belgium.
Any high end Scotish ale should fit the bill also. Do what I do,, brew your own..
Someone above mentioned ommegang, got to love their beers, as beers from Mendoccino brewers in CA.. Eye of the Hawk is malty but not too hoppy, White Hawk is hoppy.. Dogfish 60 or 90 are in my opinion fairly hoppy, I like em both..they will kick your butt also.. Enjoy the journey to find your favorite

You've got a lot of great options... just depends on what you're actually looking for. As far as locally made stuff, Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout is fairly malt forward, with strong vanilla flavor as well... pretty nice. Also check out some of the special releases (22 oz's) from Williamsburg Ale Werks. Don't bother with their six packs, but the 22 oz Rapadou Porter and Wolf's Trappe Ale are big time malty and complex.

Finally, if you are looking for big malt flavor like you've never seen before, then look no further than an English barleywine or old ale. My two personal favorites are Thomas Hardy's Ale, and J.W. Lee's Vintage ale (1997 or 98 if you can still find them). I'll admit, they are expensive, and even if you could afford to, you wouldn't want to drink two in a night. But for big malt flavor and an outrageously amazing beer experience, the quest should begin and end with those two.:001_tt1:

Top Bottom