What's new

My Introduction with a Question

Hey everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. 24 years old, been wetshaving for 2 years now, DE lately. I'm ready to make the jump into straights. This forum has had a plethora of information and I've been lurking on it for some months know just trying to decide to make the jump.

Well I have, but I want to know what I should start with. I've heard alot of positive feedback from starting with a Dovo Shavette, as it doesn't cost a lot incase I don't find the technique appealing/useful for my face, and I won't have to incur initial expenses on a hone/strop.

Is that the move to make, or should I get an introductory "serious" Dovo 5/8 and add the strop/hone later if I see it fitting?

I already have a badger brush and soap, so its just the blade I have to jump into!

Thanks in advance,

Flat

Welcome!

I'm not qualified to answer your query, as I'm currently learning with a shavette type razor myself. There'll be plenty on here to advise you on a straight though. Good to have you around though :001_smile

I'm pondering the same question myself. After conferring with a few wise individuals I've decided to skip the shavette. According to my elders, a shavette is not a straight razor, but more like a DE blade in a holder...not the same feel or experience if a straight. Personally, I'm going to jump into a straight by purchasing a shave ready razor and strop. Exactly when, I'm not sure, but I'll be sure to post my progress.

I started with a shavette, but if I were to do it all again i'd launch right in to the 'real' straights. Its got a smaller blade area, feels different, is weighted differently etc. So while you might get some small practice on how to hold it - I dont really see the point.

Thanks for the responses everyone

Personally, I'm going to jump into a straight by purchasing a shave ready razor and strop. Exactly when, I'm not sure, but I'll be sure to post my progress.

Interesting...which straight ready intro razors would you recommend/are you looking at? Is the strop necessary if they are ready, at least for the first dozen+ shaves?

I started with a shavette, but if I were to do it all again i'd launch right in to the 'real' straights. Its got a smaller blade area, feels different, is weighted differently etc. So while you might get some small practice on how to hold it - I dont really see the point.

Thanks for the input mdunn...would you recommend buying a straight and a hone/strop or just a straight and figuring it out?

Advice like this is why I went straight to a real straight instead of a shavette type. My Dovo should be here in about a week. It's shave ready so I'm going to just get a strop and give it a whirl. Once I decide whether or not it is for me I'll move on and progress accordingly. My only fear is that I'll love it and it will breed a whole new AD.

I love my Dovo shavette - been using it before I even started DE.

I plan to get a true Str8 soon as I'm enjoying shavette shaves more than DE ones.

Get a Dovo Shavette first! I started with a Dovo Shavette and now have 8 straight razors. But did you ever ask yourself why you never see someone selling their shavettes? I tell you why....they are great little shavers. I use mine at least once a week. They are convenient, easy to use, a great learning tool, and inexpensive. Start with a Dovo Shavette. If you realize that str8s are not for you, you have only spent less that $30.00.:001_rolle

Thanks for the input mdunn...would you recommend buying a straight and a hone/strop or just a straight and figuring it out?

straight and strop. you cant use a straight more than once without it.

you dont need a hone for a while, so if you decide straights rnt for you, then youre not out the $$ (but if you do so decide, then a pasted strop which you can make yourself for cheap, and a barbers hone/chinese12k are super cheap and are all you really need).

Top Bottom