What's new

Single Edge Razors: Why??

Having gone through a representative selection of DE razors, both for the nostalgia bit and to satisfy my curiosity about the shaving qualities of Merkurs, Gilletttes, etc., I have been getting curious about the old classic single edge razors, like the Gem, for example.
But it occurred to me ....why?? Are there any advantages the SE has over the DE? Does the shave feel different somehow? Is there some uniqueness? Is it worth trying, especially since the availability of SE blades seems to be so much less than DE, of which we have lots of choices? And the DE has the very obvious advantage...it has two shaving edges! I am so used to flipping my razor over (sometimes rinsing first, sometiomes not) to make a new pass when one side is filled with shave cream and getting a fresh new surface to shave.
I would appreciate comments from those who have tried the old SE razors and compared them to DE. What are your thoughts about the "feel" of the SE, the closeness, the comfort, etc. Is it worth trying a SE, and why:confused:
Is it just nostalgia ot are there real differences?
Thanks.

Paul

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members here can give you a more technical explantion, but for me it comes down to this. Gems give me a great shave with less irratation than any DE shave I have ever had!

You can pick one up cheap enough to give it a try and not be out much if you don't like it. I think you will be suprised.

Paul,
IMHO, there is more to shaving with a SE than nostalgia. Of course, that is part of it, but there is a lot more. For one thing, establishing the blade angle is, for the most part, automatic. My favorite SE, the patent 1912, has a substantial feel to it and while it gives me a very close shave, it is quite gentle on my face and neck. This is a lot more than I can say about a lot of DEs. I have quite a few DEs, but enjoy variety too. Yes, the SEs take a little getting used to, but I think they're great shavers. The only way you're really going to know what they are like is to try one yourself. Like a lot of guys, I recommend the patent 1912s. They're readily available and not expensive. As far as blades go, if you just want to try an SE and not buy in bulk, Gem stainless or Treet SE blades work well.

-Clarke

Some say that the thickness of the SE blade makes shaving with a SE razor more like the shave you would get from a straight razor. What I say is that I get close, irritation free shaves with both my Schick Injector razors and my GEM 1912 razor.

I really have little to add to what's been said. My feeling is that the more ridgid blade does contribute to the superior shave that you can get from a single edge razor, but there is more to it than that, since some single edge razors shave better than others.

I would second the suggestions above, about getting a 1912 patent dated razor and giving it a try. In my experience, they offer almost the best shave you can get. Once you find that you like the 1912, which are plentiful and inexpensive, and I think you will, then you may want to find a 1900/1901 lather catcher razor. In my opinion, this is the only razor I've found that exceeds the performance of the 1912. With both of these razors, the quality of the shave and the comfort of the shave are outstanding.

It probably should be noted that you may find a 1912 with any of the following names on it: Gem, Gem Jr., Ever-Ready, Star or Treet. It really doesn't matter what name is on it. These were all trademarks of American Safety Razor and they made 1912's under all the names. The 1912 patent date will be stamped into the head of the razor right next to the threaded hole where the handle screws in. I'm posting a picture of a couple of typical 1912's . . . the head looks about the same on all of them but you willl find several different handles. The third picture on the right is a 1900/1901.

When learning to use the 1912, keep the razor almost, but not quite, flat against your face and use no pressure. It takes a little getting used to when you have been using a DE, but stick with it for a few days and you will likely be rewarded with the best shaves of your life.

Regards,
Tom

I bought a Gem G-bar a couple weeks ago, and wasn't even sure I'd try it. It was $6.50 and damn near mint, so I figured it would make a neat conversation piece at least. Of course I tried it. Now all of my DEs have been sitting unused for a little more than a week. I say get one and try it. You may not like it, but you won't be out too much for the experience. You may just find a new friend, as I have.

Thanks to all for the info. It sounds intriguing, but blast it all, you have now seduced me into a NEW AD, SEAD! Oh well, resistance IS futile!!

Paul

P.S. Anybody have one of those 1912's in excellent condition they would like to sell?:001_rolle

Some other tips- and BTW Tom Myers gave what I think was wonderful comprehensive guidance-- but as a relatively new SE shaver I think I cannot overlook the obvious blade issue- I have found that blade choice is as critical as technique- it will make your shave or ruin it much more than in the DE experience-- BUT what is very cool about SE shaving is that CVS SE carbon blades are getting high marks-- so that is surprisingly convenient AND if you hate a blade or are just done with it, you can use it in a paint scraper of aquarium algae scraper- no waste there.

OK and another couple of things-- watch blade placement in the head and after you shave you have to wipe the suckers off (shake don't wipe does not apply to SEs) or they rust almost instantly. In the end, it is all worth it!!! Extremely satisfying shaving experience- time to go for it- dive in- you won't pay more than 10 bucks on ebay. Happy Shaving!

SE's give a great shave. I get far less irritation with them than I do with DE's. The blades seem to last quite a bit longer also.

For me the first shave with an SE was an ah ha moment. For under $10 a person can try most SE's. I love all sorts of razors, but the SE's give me great irritation free shaves...

Try everything your wallet can afford, sell whatever you don't like and I guarantee your top three razors will constantly change.

The only DE I have, which approaches my $7 Gem 1912, or $20 Wilkinson Strong Beard, is my Tradere. I'm not a huge modern razor buff, but I would assume that the R41 is a close performer, based on others' statements. I'll let you do the math on that...:wink2:

I use my DEs mostly because of the vintage style, and unique designs (I like the odd-balls: Swee-Do, Cooper, Segal, etc..).

I have four SEs now, and I don't like any of them. I shave with a DE every day.

OP, if you are interested in an SE, shoot me a PM and we can make a deal; maybe even with two or three, and I'll toss in some SE blades, too! They're just sitting around gathering dust at my house. Somebody might as well be using them.

for me,
the look of SE razors are sweet!
the Sound if a SE blade is so sweet!!
the only razor/blade combination, i can go, ATG then touch up, to get a BBS!!!

BUT what is very cool about SE shaving is that CVS SE carbon blades are getting high marks

Thanks for mentioning that. I have a nice TTO GEM SE that I've wanted to try and the CVS have been tempting me but I didn't want to butcher my face due to cheap blades. I guess if I butcher it now it'll be my fault.

The 1950s and 1960s were the heyday of electric shaving, and I tried to go along, several times. My skin is as normal as far as being sensitive / insensitive, somewhere in the middle, but electrics caused irritation. My skin was relatively oily most of my life until quite recently, and the classic choices of soaps, brushes, razors, and aftershaves made a good matchup for me. After declaring I was giving up on the electric, the local Aunts and Uncles brought out heirloom blade razors: three DEs, one SE, and one Unlce offered some vague bits of advice.

Between DEs and SEs, my preference soon settled on whatever the SE razor was (Gem Jr maybe), and I used it once a week at first, then twice a week, and finally, every other day. Given the number of years since then, it's no longer clear to me how 1956 passed in my personal shaving history. I kinda think that I gave the electric another try for several months to a year.

An adolescent's early fuzz isn't much of a test of shaving hardware quality, but I was generally pleased with that SE at the time. When I stopped using that SE, part of what was in my mind was the age of the razor, and the total lack of any newer model SEs on the shelves in places I was going for shaving supplies, pharmacies and supermarkets. I assumed no one was still making SEs any more. My last attempt at electric shaving was no more rewarding than the prior two. I shaved with DEs, a brush, and a shaving soap or shaving cream for 30 years, but took an 18 year detour into cartridges.

I was looking for an Injector in various Antique stores, Flea Markets, and Thrift Shops when I found a Gem Micromatic for a few dollars and liked the way it looked. Once I finally located blades for it, the quality of shave that it affords was very gratifying. It shaves VERY well.

Top Bottom