What's new

Purpose of an aftershave . . .

For you, is the purpose of a traditional aftershave splash to actually provide some kind of relief or healing, or otherwise benefit your skin in some way post-shave, or is it mainly to provide a nice scent? Or is it both?

Personally, instead of traditional aftershave splashes, I prefer a very lightly scented (or even unscented) aftershave balm or witch hazel applied to the face for healing and soothing.

I use aftershave splashes only for the scent. Whether I use an aftershave splash or cologne depends entirely on where I'm going or what I'll be doing. I don't like colognes for day-to-day office wear; they are just to strong and intense for me in that environment, even when lightly applied. For that reason, I use aftershaves for work, as they tend to be less powerful, and I apply them to my chest and neck, never to the face. Typically, I only use colognes if I'm going out for the evening.

Not all splashs are equal or the same for that matter. A splash classicly is Alchol and Scent. However, many have other ingridients that change the performance drastically. In my rotation I have the following splashs: AV, DR Harris Sandalwood, Masters Bay Rum, Piunard Bay Rum, Dominica Bay Rum, and Speik. They are all quite different.

My top ones based on perfomance:

AV-Best Value. Vitamins, Moisture and the Menthol!
DR Harris-The best scent and it leave me my face feeling supple.
Speik-Where do you start. There is so much stuff in here its crazy. Its all natural. Wax, Orange Blossom Water, Alum and that Alps plant extract! :wink:

In conclusion, there are splashes that do alot more than just give scent. Mainly they are meant to tone and disinfect, however some have great skin care properties. Good for gents with oily skin and in hot climates.

I'm looking for beneficial properties to help my skin heal after scraping a blade against it.

Scent is a nice side effect tho :)

Im looking for a nice scent however i am currently using anherb aftershave gel after my shave so would probably have too substitute this for some witchhazel and then add a scent. I am still confused as too when too add a cologne. I do not want one too clash with my skin products either as i use scented creams (TOBS St James mainlu) maybe after my cold water splash i should muse some witchazel and find a nice barbersop scented fragrance
chris

number 1 use for an aftershave for me is the skincare/repair, not all perform equally.
scent is secondary but conversely very important as it is usually the deciding factor when buying

Top Bottom