What's new

I don't think she knew what she had - TV

Nowhere in the listing did she mention she had a TV for sale. I was lucky enough to snag it, though.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150327941667

You are likely right that she didn't know that she had anything somewhat unique. The TV looks pretty much like any other SS to most "non-enthusiasts". I'm pretty sure that I got one the same way a year or so ago, since there was no mention of "TV razor" in the listing.

Regards,
Tom

I figure a couple people knew what was here, looking at the final price I paid. :wink:

Yeah, I suspect someone besides yourself recognized what that was. I got lucky I guess, I got mine for about $16 back in August. I'm not sure how it happened to get under everyone's radar. The razor and case are in very nice condition.

Regards,
Tom

I managed to snag a TV in a unknown box a couple weeks back for an absolute steal of a price. There are definitely people out there who don't know what they have. The eagle eyes around here tend to spot them and quickly drive up the prices, but occasionally one slips through the cracks.

Nowhere in the listing did she mention she had a TV for sale. I was lucky enough to snag it, though.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150327941667

Believe me, I saw it my friend.

And I've seen quite a few other razors out there that aren't exactly listed quite properly. And I'm sure others here and on similar forums have noticed them as well.

But since I already have a '58 TV...why would I buy another?

I know some people buy one razor to use and one to display, etc etc.

Others buy more than one, hoping that the newer one may be in better condition. If so, I hope they sell them off to folks who are looking for the same razor.

I know I joked about one member having bought two Toggles. He hadn't meant to do this, but he had won both auctions. The infinitely fine man that he is offered one of them to me- the nicer one to boot. I will sing his praises on the mountaintops once it arrives, believe me.

The later type of member is the kind that we all appreciate.

This may be starting to sound like a rant, but I am of the belief that we should strive to allow everyone enjoying this "hobby" the opportunity to at least have a chance at the razors they desire.

I will now get off of my soapbox.

Oh- nice score by the way DarkAudit. :thumbup1:

Cheers.

What makes a TV special?

The TV special was a somewhat different looking superspeed that was released for a limited time in conjuction with some special promotion being done on the old Gillette Cavalcade of Sports, on television back in 1958. There were two noticable differences. First was the plastice case, which if you look at the pictures posted above, is a different design and says "TV" on the cover. Second, the razor itself has a different style of knurling on the handle. Again check the picture here compared to a regular "50's style" flair tip Superspeed.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom